Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Growing ginger, Chick update, Spring cleaning the garden.

While at the local Dutch market, I picked up a few fresh Ginger roots. I placed them in a terracotta pot positioned on the kitchen counter until I needed them. Yesterday, I spotted a few "eye" sprouts and decided why not try growing them. After a few searches online, I found you can easily grow your own ginger indoors. They do not like direct light once their sprouts come above the fertile soil. Indirect is best plus they very much dislike temperatures below 50 Degrees (F). More information can be found at this **site** if you would like to give it a go, yourself. It may not flower for you, but the fresh ginger root growing beneath the soil will be pleasure enough.The chicks are growing fast and their new temporary housing needs cleaning everyday.
I still enjoy hearing their little pips and chirps. Such a sweet sound like being outside on an early warm spring morning.The weather warmed up enough for Frog and I to play in the garden.We spent the afternoon raking old leaves and pulling last year's garden vines. Once Panda came home from school, she was able to meet us up in the garden. Which she took the nice afternoon to read her Rainbow Magic Fairy series book. She whips through 1 book rather quick and has gone through all the ones found at the library.The Bee's were out buzzing around the hive. They too were tricked by the 50 degree (F) temperature, thinking it may be Spring.Little man dug up a surprise by the big pines out back.It's a Roy Roger "Trigger" horse shoe from an old 1950's kid game set. How cool is that? I met one of the children (now a grandmother) who use to live here. We are only the third Family to live or own this home since it was built in 1949. Maybe I should send Little man out tomorrow with a shovel to dig some more around those 80 foot tall pines....
The air may not have that wonderful fresh garden smell as of yet, but at least I can get my hands dirty for a few days. Then the snow will be back to cover up my hard work. That's O.k. I still have a few wood working projects to finish before the plants start calling my name.

Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...