Thursday, February 14, 2008

Homemade valentines, chick delivery date, and seeds still available

I spotted on another site a great idea for homemade Valentines for the kiddies to exchange. For the life of me, I can not rememebr or find that post! So if anyone can chime in here with the source, please let me know so they can get the credit due to them.
Paper CD sleeves (envelopes) that have the plastic circle window, decorated with the heart day theme we decided upon.
We took it a step further and made heart shaped chocolate chip cookies (homemade recipe of course) to go inside.
On the back we we wrote the to and froms.
I LOVE the way they turned out and the kids had a great time making them up.

I have the order for chicks to come on March 3rd. We went with a different bunch then I mentioned. The official and confirmed order is:
2 Partridge rock females
3 delaware females
1 Delaware roo
3 Americauna females
2 silver polish (black and white speckled feathers with the puffy top hat feather head)
15 Jumbo cornish X rock straight runs for meat raising in the chicken tractor.
Can you tell I am excited?
And I wanted to remind all of you about the Seed swap/ giveaway at this *thread*.
If you have any seeds that someone else may be interested in, just list them in the comments. Trade amongst yourselves if I do not have anything peeking your interest. If we have enough interest, I can start a blog site just for seed trading posts. I still have seed I would love to get my hands on, along with plants. I have lemon balm which has been growing great in my living room. i made a division from my garden plant in case it did not winter over. i also have peppermint and Spearmint divisions I can part with.

**OHIO READERS!**
I have spoken to the Kent Free library about possible meet ups/ featured speakers and they ARE interested. I volunteered to seek out possible speakers on my previuos mentioned subjects to help get it going. I will be making some calls today in hopes of spurring this on. My goal is to find people who can answer questions without being an "advertisement", encourage beginners and interested parties on succeeding with the subject at hand with other like minds.
It would be great to start a "group meet up" from these events. A group that can find others who may want to split orders on seeds, larger animal feed amounts (buy a truck load at a lower cost and everyone bring their own containers to split it up in), split chick orders and or share the responsibility of raising meat birds or other livestock that some may not have the space for (splitting all costs equally plus helping out with duties such as pen/cage clean up, fill in milking help or "animal sitting" while the host is away). That would be up to the individuals and not responsibility of the library, of course.
I believe doing this through the library will give a safer environment to introduce people to each other and encourage more use of what the library has to offer. Build a COMMUNITY in a community.
*************************************
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...