Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Seriously?! Your kidding right?

The things we do for our children... We have a rabbit kit which somehow around day 4 had an incident while with it's mother and now has paralyzed back legs. I thought for sure the mother would not let it live. Here it is now over 2 weeks old and thriving just fine.

From the begining Panda kept saying "I want to get it a wheelchair. They make them for dogs. Please Mommy?" I kept saying No. I'm not going to do it. In the back of my mind I just kept seeing dollar signs for the wheelchair and vet bills. I blame myself in this. I kept telling them not to play with the babies. Remember, they are food. But then they opened their eyes and started interacting with us more when we put food in the cage and love on the mom.
I am so kicking myself for this but how could I not at least look into it for my little girl?
And so I did.... I found lots of small size animal wheelchairs priced between $300-$500 dollars. Then I found an article of a woman in the U.K who bought one for her rabbit. The comapny is based in Texas, Called Dog's to go and operated by a family. The wheel chairs are made from PVC and not metal like the others which were so pricey. Then I clicked on the pricing and I had to read it a few times to make sure I was seeing the price right...A wheel chair cart in rabbit size was only $70!( Check out their site- it's pretty cool to see!)
So I thought "hey, this may just be doable."
I wrote the company to inform more of their payment plan and explained it would not be ordered till the fall when the rabbit was full size.
Then off to discuss with Panda Bear What I found and IF we keep this rabbit how big of a responsibility it will be. I could not help but enjoy my super mom status with my baby. She wrapped those arms around me (morning breath and all..LOL) and exclaimed a million Thank you's.
We discussed the factor and both agree my idea of making the reusable produce bags , saving the entire money to go towards this kit's wheel chair cart and vet bill is a good idea. We will also save a small portion from the produce profit towards the vet bill.
Now if the vet determines this kit will need ongoing care and we do not see it as doable, we will still get the cart but through our vet find it a loving home. With it having a cart already it will ease the search in finding a home. (Our vet has a wiener dog in the office who roams all day in a doggie wheel chair cart- I think that is where Panda got the idea).
I know many of you are shaking your heads. These are MEAT rabbits woman! DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD!
Sometimes you just have to listen to your babies and give in despite the waking in wee hour mornings while all are still asleep and pondering for hours why you are debating with yourself over this request. She does not ask for much and is such a great kid. Besides, that moment in the morning when I woke her to discuss the matter, my heart filled with such love and knew she deserved a yes to her rare request...


I can just see it now...People driving by and doing the double take at a white rabbit with a wheel chair playing with kids in the yard... I can almost hear them mutter "Oh my god, that woman gets stranger and stranger every year. From chickens to goats, to tilling up almost all available space for gardens and now...a rabbit in a wheel chair...."
Who cares, right? All that matters is my children are happy and that makes it just fine by me.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...