Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cider making and the New DON!

I misplaced the camera Monday and did not find it till just now, please forgive the absence of my posts. I had to have my pics for the post, right?! So Labor day had us picking apples from our tree and putting them through the fruit press/cider mill my Bee Man lent us. As you can see, our work station made it much easier and the fan was needed to keep the yellow jackets somewhat at bay. We pressed just over a gallon into cider- which is fermenting in the kitchen for some HARD CIDER.


We filled up my metal tub with our organic apples and the water kept the yellow jackets off and from hiding amongst them- nothing like grabbing some apples only to have one of those buggers sting you.
After coring the apples (the kids quickly lost interest in that part), we put them pieces through the food processor then into the thin woven fabric lined basket of the mill.

All the left over pulp and cores were put onto the compost piles and covered with grass clippings-farthest away from the animals and house of course.
The night before, we pressed grapes for a small batch of grape wine, which also is fermenting in the kitchen- and that reminds I need to call a guy who has 1 gallon jars from his wine making days for $1 a piece. I want to get as many as possible and I believe he has 30- which the tops fit mason jar lids/bands!
I also picked us up a new Don for the Ladies. The furry 4 legged ones that is.
Chubs and Momma- our 2 Californian does- have a new Beau. He is a New Zealand white buck from some of the biggest meatiest parent stock I have seen.
He is just 2 months old and is over half what our full grown gals are.
Meet the New Sir Don Julio:


Don't mind Mon Senior. That Roo is such a curious guy when I enter the pen. Follows me everywhere, talking away like he is talking to one of his ladies.
I have been canning and baking like crazy. Plan to pick up more blemished pears from the Kent Market-great price and makes some great Spiced Pear Butter. I have more of our apples to pick and will be making a trip over to Chris and Lisa's (1 acre homestead) to pick a different variety of apples to make more Cider. My plan is to have 15 gallons of Cider fermenting in the next 2 weeks Plus plenty of apple butter for the pantry and pies for the freezer.
There is 25 pumpkins waiting their turn and a new crop of french beans ready for picking- freezer is waiting! I have more garden clean up and a Beautiful 14 acre Farm with a Spring Fed pond to tell ya'll about. The Captain and I are in LOVE with the place and major motivated to get rid of this one to get the other.
I'm off to rake a pen and get those apples down.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...