Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Our Halloween Hanuting DIY short series

Halloween is my favorite holiday and this year is even more special. I finally get to expand my Halloween fun by haunting a trail in the woods behind one of Panda's friends home. I volunteered to help the parent with decking out the trail as well as some of the little party details such as the food table. Doing these parties for our children can get a bit overwhelming on our own. Having some help makes itless stressful. Not too mention, a combining of skills most appreciated.
 
I rarely use a glue gun for projects. That is until I began to realize it has far more uses then gluing things down.
I have a few Halloween projects to share with you. This one is all my creation. The others are inspired from other resources.
 
In Frog's garden I discovered some fantastic dead flowers for placing an arrangement on the table. Not just any vase will do. I needed a piece to carry on with the theme.
 
 I grabbed a large glass and began to make crackle spider web effects up and down it's exterior.Keeping the gun tip close to the glass as I trail shaky various size glue strips. Then I utilized the hot tip to squiggle them out which gave a great spidering effect. With a different seasonal theme, this could be done to appear as frost too.
 
Once I felt satisfied with the amount, I grabbed leaves from the yard and stuffed a few in the bottom. The next step was layering them along the walls of the glass so it appears filled to the brim with dead & colorful Fall leaves.
 
 
The next step was arranging dead flowers and stems found in the garden. From Teddy bear sunflowers, basil seed pod strands, dried up zinnias as well as a cosmo appearing flower bunch. I did not want to stuff it full of stems being there must be room inside to retrieve & replace the flameless flickering candle which sets off an eery candle fire effect nestled down inside the glass a few inches from the top.
 
 
To hide the battery operated votive candle, simply place a few small leaves strategically around it's base or just paint the base a neutral color like black or brown to blend it in.
There simply is not a way I have found to share with you the amazing effect seen in person with the candle light on. The votive is great for those dark nights and not so bright rooms. It truly makes it appear as the flowers are on fire inside, casting the shadows of dead stems and heads onto the walls.

This took all but 10 minutes to whip up. Imagine the table decked out with platters of coffin sugar cookies, colored chocolate realistic looking eyeball cookies, deer meat sloppy Joes as well as a few other Haunting foods on a blood deep red tablecloth. Black crows, a realistic dripping wax candelabra complete with flickering flame less candles & bits of glue gun spider webs.{ Of course, don't forget the dead flower arrangement. No proper table is complete without a flower arrangement.

Up next : Have you heard of slender man? Apparently just mentioning this names evokes fear in the minds of the heathens. I'll also share how to make your very own Hauntingly awesome Candelabra. Perfect for everyday use, especially grand for ghoulish mood setting.

 Stay tuned for some Haunted trail DIY & more Halloween treats to whip up.
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...