Sunday, September 17, 2006

Another great thrift store find & an apple orchard trip planned

My boots gave out late last winter/early spring. I had no snow boots left and ended using The Captain's (my husband) when I would venture out to feed the barnyard. Roomy but warmer then my kickers. The mission for this weekend was to find a pair of barnyard winter boots from the many thrift stores in the area. Of course none were in my size when I did find a pair. Then I saw them! Sitting on a back rack of men's -there they were waiting for me. A perfect size 7. What luck! I wear a 7 in mens so I grabbed em up. Of course once the winter boots start piling into the retail stores I will need a new pair for regular wear.

As I was walking back towards the front smiling to myself over the above find, I saw these!A pair of Earth shoe's! I had admired these shoes but never could fork over the $100 for a new pair. So for $3 I got myself a pair of very gently used & so very comfy loungers. The captain calls them my hippy shoes but I just tell him he's the one who married the hippy girl AND paid for her shoes! While I was at it I bought 2 button up sleeveless tops & a pair of flare low rise jeans all for $5. I spent a total of $13 today for the shoes/boots & clothes. I just love it when I find deals. After Frog, I have lost too much weight and all my pants are hanging on me. Of course once I stop nursing her I will gain 10lbs and then they will all be too tight.
**On a different note**- this coming weekend we will do our first family apple picking adventure. I found an orchard (stotlers orchard) to try and the the bargain for picking a bushel on the weekends ($10.50!) cannot be beat. Other places want at least $7.50 for 1/2 a bushel of u-pick. The Captain has never been apple picking either so it is a first for all. Lots of apple pie fillings & cinnamon chunky applesauce will be canned and some put up for gift giving baskets. Of course I cannot miss the opportunity to make some fruity wine and will be making a 5 gallon batch of it for the ol' farmchick wine cellar (& gift giving with other homemade goodies). I hope to purchase some fresh cider too while we are there. I will share pictures and the story of our adventure next week so check back for it. I also will share soon the last entry for the summer wild foods & wine challenge which will involve an apple wine. So be prepared and plan ahead for some time in your local apple orchard picking 2 part sweet to 1 part tart apple varieties. Maybe I will make 2 batchs this time with 2 different recipes.....
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...