Saturday, April 12, 2008

Store bought herbs into plants

Remember my post about the store bought fresh herbs on March 15th? Panda and I Prepared them and placed each in their own containers. Then were placed in gallon size zippy bags with a small portion left open for air. Some in 2 liter bottles to act as a mini green house..
Well they are ready to be transplanted almost 1 month later! All have taken root! We spent $2 total and received 4 rosemary plants and 6 thyme plants from the fresh herbs. Thats about 20 cents a plant with about 2 cents worth each of the powdered hormone to start the rootings. Add in the soil and we may have spent 30 cents on each herb plant. Now take in mind, if I were to purchase a plant about the same size as my starts, they would cost me anywhere from $3 to $5 each! We spent around $3 for our 10.
Here is the thyme panda started, which is showing the white roots:And the Rosemary showing roots:We did not plant all the cuttings in the bag we bought. I did save half for culinary use. Some were woody as you can see from the rosemary rooting in my hand. That was also the one with the most root tendrils. I noticed the top was starting to peek out the top of the 2 liter which spurred me to check for signs of roots. So now they are in their new pots and I am buying more from Beiler's market this week! Hopefully there is a bit more selection in herbs to add with my need for more Rosemary. I will be giving some as gifts for Mothers day so need to get them going ASAP. Gotta add more pots to the list. Speaking of pots, Lowe's had a nice array on sale that have the tray and pot as one piece. Pretty glazed pots at that.
So now you know, store bought fresh herbs WILL root despite being woody- plus using rooting hormone. Just make sure they are still fresh ...
Sweet Dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...