Saturday, February 19, 2011

Terra cotta hen, Antique tea cups & DIY plate stand

Many Years ago, I fell in love with terra cotta chicken. The Captains Nan  had 2 Terra cotta hen's {one named Henrietta which The captain has childhood stories of}. I have hunted for one in the same look & size which has proven a bit fruitless. These hens are so charming & captivating even a non chicken owner would love. I have seen a few painted or formed with clay but none satisfied the look of hen I desired. Then while looking to add to our array of Antique tea cups, I spotted her. Sitting upon a shelf as though she were calling out "I'm over here!". The look I was after, maybe half the size then I originally wanted but beautiful in form.
I have yet to decide on what shall be grown in the strawberry pot design. Most likely an herb I can snip from often for use in the kitchen. It's funny how one can look and look, forget about it for a while then that something just pops up out of nowhere. I did find a few tea cups for adding to our collection. Yes, we do use them. What delight would there be to not enjoy it's intended purpose of a hot cup of herbal tea? Such things are fragile to which I do not withhold our children from using. Accidents do & have happened but never a harsh word or scorn is used. I am sure their upset of the incident is enough to remind them of the fragile state and always share "You did not mean for it to break. No tears honey. We will find another to enjoy".  
They look forward to their afternoon tea time{in place of an after school snack} which can cause a bit of upset should something prevent them from it's time. As of late, a peppermint Chamomile blend seems to be the favorite.
 I am sure most if not all of you have seen cake platters made from antique plates. Tiered or not. Another moment that browsing in thrift stores brings unexpected finds. I would like to share the inspiration one can find from a simple trip to thrift stores such as The Salvation Army or GoodWill. I spotted this lovely wide candle holder {made from Yankee Candle co.} and this rustic blush color plate{from World Market} during such a trip. Total cost $1.98 for the pieces.
Very simple to make with superb results. I used Quick Grip All purpose Permanent Adhesive{water &  weather proof} for putting them together. Place the pedestal of your choice onto the underside bottom of the plate, eye centering at first.Measure to be sure it is the same distance from the edges all around before gluing. Let it dry over night and it's done.
Perfect for cakes, finger foods & of course to place that glass dome of which has no bottom.{I am still on the hunt to find a larger dome from the thrift store. As I have mentioned with many things you seek with purpose, C'est la vie... Such is life.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...