Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lost in a junk yard - when even a junk-a-holic has had enough

Today my husband and I went for a lovely road trip along the east coast of Aberdeenshire, to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and generally enjoy the sea breeze and sunshine. We stopped off at pittoresk fishing village Johnshaven, ate fresh strawberries and ice cream at a farm shop and found some nice pieces of driftwood on the beach of Montrose. We also paid a visit to the (in)famous Steptoe's Yard in St Cyrus, where you literally trip over all kinds of junk. My treasure hunting pals suggested many times that I should really go and have a look, so we did...

Hmmm, what can I say? Overwhelming! I can honestly say I have never in my life seen so much junk piled up in one place. Millions of plates and cups scattered on tables, one whole shed full of glassware, a barn filled with thousands of chairs, cupboards, tacky prints, mirrors, old records, suitcases, tables and more. Not to mention the endless boxes of rusty old tools lying around outdoors. Phew - good lord! Now you know I love junk and am not afraid of some treasure hunting and seeing the potential in old furniture. But today at Steptoe's Yard I felt like running a mile! How funny. I guess when you "just go for a browse" you get lost in a sea of rubbish and just want to get the heck out of there (I did!). When you know what you're looking for, I am sure a treasure awaits you. Seriously, if you can't find it at Steptoe's Yard, it simply doesn't exist.

Steptoe's Yard, St Cyrus
http://www.steptoesyard.com/

---

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...