Tuesday, January 13, 2009

winter treasures and basement lettuce...

The snow has been wonderful this year! This last weekend the kids were able to play with their ski boards and build snow forts.

We made snowflake cookies to enjoy with the hot cocoa when a break from the cold was in order. Grizzle was not to be left out and romped with her buddy Buster.

Poor thing has pain in her back leg when its too cold and hops around on 3 legs until I force her inside with kids, to defrost and huddle around the wood burner. I was inside for the most part baking away. I was the kitchen inhabitant for the day.
I had a few Delicata squash left in the cold room, so they were quickly made into squash bread. That was some great bread! I also made fresh Italian bread from the Macrina Bakery book- using homemade starter. Plus white bean with ham soup for the cold days evening meal. Simple, filling, and gobbled up by the picky Lil' Man.
Frogs lettuce and basil seeds have sprouted! They are off to the basement for their new home under glow lights, hovering above the unused pool table.I have wanted to share this little treasure for awhile now. Before the first snow fall,I found this tiny nest laying in the front yard. Most likely blown down from the catalpa tree by the driveway. The egg for comparison is a first time pullet egg. I was so excited to share it with Panda. There is a special detail which makes this nest different from the others.Do you see inside the nest? Do you see the long white and red/brown strands?That would be Fernie and Chia's hair used to line the inside, for the bird eggs to keep warm. How awesome is that? It was found just before taking the goatie girls down to Roseanna's.
A wonderful Nature gift that will be treasured for many reasons.
I found some great buys at the most unbelievable prices which I will share with you later in the week. Of course it has something to do with gardening, but also something I have desired for a while now. I am talking like 85% off the normal price and that is massive savings! Now to just get the Captain to remember he promised I could pick it up Thursday..
I have leftover starter from the weekend and it needs to be used up before it sours. The kids have been begging for more of my Italian bread so i best get to baking, ay?
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...