Thursday, June 30, 2011

Junk up your nursery with funky and colourful pieces

As I am expecting my first child I am obviously focussed (perhaps a little obsessed!) with finding some cool pieces for the nursery. Matching, expensive sets in white and oak from the big high street stores bore me to tears and as Aberdeen doesn't have any independent retailers catering for the more eclectic taste, I'm trawling the web looking for some originality and inspiration. Anyone know of some good sites? Let me know!

Meanwhile I am going to try and find an old chest of drawers that I can paint in a funky colour and transform into a changing table. We've been promised a wooden swinging crib already (yay!) and I may just turn the freestanding wardrobe that we own into one suitable for baby stuff.

Photo
I did buy some things from a few high street chains (oh no! *blushing*), but only because they had a nice vintage feel to them and of course with the purpose to mix and match them with my other finds. I bought this gorgeous stripey blanket from Mamas and Papas' 'gingerbread' range and I found some 1/2 price cute retro (Amy Butler-like) fabric at John Lewis last week, which I am going to make into cushions (see photo above). Bought both the pink-orange and blue-green variety, to suit both boy or girl. But hey, as the shop-lady said; baby won't notice anyway.


I wanted to share the link to the fabulous blog Bambino Goodies with you, which features heaps of inspiring articles about all things lovely for kids - including some smashing announcements of discounts and sales. It was here I found the link to the great looking Olli Ella Nursing chairs that are made in London. And - to be honest - they would look stunning in any home, whether you have kids or not! They're not cheap, but since you can 're-use' them in your louge, it seems a good investment. I'm really tempted to get one... what colour would you go for?

Olli1

Ollie2

I also explored Apartment Therapy's kids' rooms site OhDeeDoh a bit more and found some really nice nursery examples:

Deuce1
Gotta love this big bright yellow cot! 

2009-11-norah_sm

A bit of vintage and nostalgia here:

Img_0148

Loving the yellow-grey combination in this one:

2010-07-bline_sm1

Bambino Goodies also does 'Room tours' to give you inspiration, and these rooms sure did:

Amanda-nursery

Nubie1

If you know of any good online shops or places for inspiration, do leave the links in the comments bit below. Thanks! x

---

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...