Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Potter's shed progress, apples from heaven? & pie bread

The cement block compost bin is still lacking it's stucco finish being I have yet to buy the mesh & such. Instead, I started working on a Potters shed to store all those garden tools I have a horrible habit of leaving out. The notion is to have a spot I can leave them close at hand instead of trudging them the distance from our house to the back everyday. I am using pallet wood being it is so freely available. I emphasize FREE.. I found the perfect frame base already put together, re purposing from a 4 level pallet used by a locally owned garden center for transporting potted plants from their supplier. The perfect size for me to step inside and even The Captain would not woe from hitting his head.
I still have some finishing up to do as well as it's painting to match our chicken coop of a French blue base & white trimming. In it's current state, The Captain keeps chiding me it looks like an old outhouse. I guess it did not help my case being I was dressed in a dark old flannel with jeans and a neon orange beanie hiding my pulled back hair, which he burst out in laughter with first glance, exclaiming "You look like a bag lady building an outhouse!". Thanks Honey. I know I can always depend upon you for putting a smile on my face...
Being the work on my tool shed has been stalled due to the high wind, rain & my kidney stone out patient surgery, I will at least for now share the perfectly small 6 pane wood windows I scored for it's sides:

My potter's shed will sit at the back outside corner of the garden, butting up to the picket fence. Frog is begging for more flower variety so the space between the "bag lady outhouse" and the opposite end of the picket fence will be a 5 foot wide x 12 foot long strip of her flowers. I do believe it will look rather nice being flanked with her cutting flower garden and possibly some more woody herbs on it's grass  side.
Little Man & I went into the side woods yesterday looking for fallen tree limbs to collect for the winter fires. When what before our wondering eyes should appear? But apples! Fallen from the heavens, leaving a trail for the deer. O.k, not really from heaven but the very tops of these ancient apple trees gave a beautiful sight of golden apples laid out as though they are urging you to explore down the path.....

We were thrilled to see all the hoove prints amongst them meaning the hunters on neighboring property have not scared off the locals from our woods. We rather enjoy the chance encounters we have with the deer which may also be due to their leaving my garden alone. The two of us collected some of the most perfect organic apples into our button up shirts , backwards tied around our waists, made into a makeshift apron. We left our wagon of logs & sticks for just a moment to release our treasures onto the kitchen counter.Making quick of our work in the woods knowing what awaits us.
We sat in the living room, shredding apples for the delight of a Fall favorite. Apple pie bread! I clipped this recipe from an old Better homes & garden magazine some years ago and have found a link to share with all of you whom may very well find this to be a Fall favorite.
I add 2 teaspoons of apple pie spice when I add the flour in the recipe. They do not mention any spice and despite tasting nice without it, the addition makes it glorious. I also use GOLDEN raisins and on occasion add the streusel topping depending on my supply of walnuts.

The sonic blasting of the largest kidney stone today seemed to go well. I was surprised to discover, just 6 hours after surgery, to have such a blatant "battle wound". Panda was grossed out by it and the nurses told me it would turn even nastier as it sets in with blues, purples/black of healing.
But it's not as painful {yet} as it may look. I can not wait to get back to my workout routine {it's been a month!} and to finish up my outdoor projects without aching. I have another item I scored from a big name hardware store which was used in their garden center and will now be an organizer for the after school throw downs. THAT you will have to wait for as well, which is bare in it's current state. Lacking the layer of paint to tie it in to the living theme & appeal.
Until next time...
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...