Friday, July 12, 2013

A dwarf in the garden & a giant in the house

There is a Dwarf wandering in my Asparagus bed!!
Nibbler is still tiny. All 4 ducks were hatched out in the same 24 hour time frame. All are, with no chance of otherwise, pure bred Welsh Harlequins. Nibbler by day 2 began growing in white feathers while the others stayed yellow fluff. She was full adult feathered by 3 weeks of age. The others were beginning their junior white fluff, the stage between yellow fluff and adult feathering. She has remained 1/3 the size in comparison to her crew. For those unaware, this is NOT normal growth & feathering patterns.
 Since our 16 days in a row of rain and final bravo of flooding everywhere, I let them out to dig in their normal stomping ground of my Asparagus bed. The old sled serves as their water play/duck bill cleaner. The green water is thanks to the constant rain.
 As you can see above, she is tiny next to the others. In person, her size seems even smaller then she appears in photos. I do fear for the time Zoidburg discovers "mating". The size difference may squish her to death. the breeder I bought them from was not worried about her odd growth pattern when I contacted her 4 weeks ago, declaring they breed for a smaller size. But this?! This is Dwarf. My next contact with her will hopefully let me know if this is what she bred for OR this is something smaller then they had in mind.

As for Moose... Well, I put a cover on the couch cushions and gave in to his furniture lounging. I have yet to find a dog bed for his size that does not over take my living room. Hardwood floors are not comfortable and he seems to pacify on the folded comforters I put down for a temporary bed. For now, I caved. Obviously, it only works when 1 person is on there... You should see him the car or truck! No room!

And yes. Yes that is an E-collar. Long story short, his Black mouth Cur father shared enough hunting dog drive, that combined with his St. Bernard mother's size producied a situation where my dog weighs 25 lbs less then I do and obedience was moody. He was already big when we got him as well as never being on a leash. The training of control in chasing wild life began to take a toll on my body. That E-collar saved me AND him from harm.
I plan to share a post on e-collar introduction & use. it's not like others seem to fear or spread. In 10 minutes of first use, after reading & watching training info, things finally "clicked" and Moose just got "awesomer".. My dog knew he was stronger then me and my patience after 8 months of constant whip lash & shoulder jerks had their toll.
More on which one we use {more like he just wears} and how by day 3 Moose discovered the world he wants to explore is his to roam as long as he stays in bounds, comes when called and checks in every few minutes. Moose is far happier with his new found freedom and it shows!
Till next time,
Sweetest Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...