Thursday, November 30, 2006

When was the last time you explored a library?

I Do not have a printer. I do not bother with it since I go to the library and sign in on their computers(free- no charge for use but limited to 180 minutes a day). From home I email myself links to things I wish to have printed out such as templates for sewing projects like this one Stella shared. I save time but also money. It cost a nickel to print out one sheet in B&W. I then take them to their copy lobby and enlarge them to the proper size needed as the site states. A quarter for color copies and a nickel for B&W copies in the lobby. I did a search on the Martha Stewart site for "templates". That word brought hundreds of various patterns using her engine search. Lots of cool little things such as a cloth doll kinda like magic cabin has, Baby kimono shirts, felt slippers, and baby mary janes too! I have most of my handmade holiday gifts just from her site. The projects are easy and the patterns are free. Thanks to Stella, I have completed my list just from her mentioning the woolly animals pattern- which is also on the to make list- just hope this machine cooperates until the new year.

Of course the children LOVE going to the library. They have a huge area for the children's library located on the 2nd floor. They have a very large glass enclosed story room complete with night sky (little lights on the ceiling for the star covered sky) . Lil' man has never stayed still for story time when I have taken him in the past. Here, "guitar guy" librarian has him mesmerized.He calls it music class. Actually, I am entertained by how great it is. He sings a song, play's his guitar, then reads a story. Then sings a song again with the kids. This is a get up and interact story time. Not your boring sit cross legged, fold your hands and be be silent type. It caters to how children at this young age behave. They need movement and need interaction or forget about keeping their attention. They even have a "story tree" set in the back central area. If you stand under the tree and whisper, the people not close around you can still hear what you say. The kids love it there. I love it there. And I highly encourage everyone out there to check out more then just a few libraries around you. It is amazing the resources they provide. If they do not get utilized, they are discontinued. Why spend money on the stuff if no one uses it. There is an amazing world open to you by just stepping through the doors. This particular one is 25 minutes from us and we pass 2 different ones along the way. It is out of our county but is open to anyone in the state of Ohio for checking items out.
I am sharing this with you because this is where I have drowned myself in knowledge since I became pregnant with Panda. I went searching for books on Home birth which opened the world of natural living to me. Of course I always had the urge for the back to the land life but that was it. I did not have a clue where to start.This is where I picked up my very first gardening book along with my first how to care for dairy goats and backyard poultry. I could go on & on with the many wonders this library has opened to me but I will just leave you with my encouragement. It is an amazing high tech loaded experience & information adventure. The best part is, it's free.(o.k I am not counting taxes here folks!)

Sweet dreams
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...