Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Yogurt success , a weeks garden bounty & secret road trip

I used 1 gallon of "FRESH" cow milk mentioned in my last post to make a batch of yogurt. At first i thought i goofed due to the websites recipe stating it should be ready in 3 hours. After utilizing a great homesteading forum asking for answers, I placed the above back in their warmed water for 6 more hours. SUCCESS!
I did not realize till later that I used Dannon All Natural yogurt WITH vanilla added. All recipes call for plain yogurt to be used for a starter- Why i am not sure, but Mine worked out just fine. The taste test will come in the morning. we add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a cup of granola to our morning Yogurt, but I will be brave and taste it plain from the jar. I tried my hand at Mozzarella but am not sure if it came out O.K. I will sample that at lunch with halved cherry tomatoes and basil leaves drizzled with olive oil and minced garlic.

We have had a wonderful week of rain and the garden keeps pumping out the summer squash. The herbs have been abundant too. in the pink bucket is Basil- the 1 of 2 times a week cutting, off to the left of it are peppermint and thyme for drying. The cherry tomatoes are begining to ripen and the zinnia's are still providing centerpieces. The light yellow sunflowers are new for us this year. They are "lemonade" far bottom right & center plus "teddy bear"- being the more frayed appearing petals on the far upper left. We have always grown the autumn harvest color in the far bottom left and the Russian mammoth- not being very mammoth on the upper right..
We are looking at some property this weekend at a secret location. But I will tell you it has over 7 acres, A very nice distance away from any stores, a wide stream you can fish or swim in, Woods on the surrounding edges, and was used as farm pasture before the last house burned down. All at an amazing price too enticing to pass up without a look. If it is worth mentioning again, I will post pictures before Monday.
I have sewing to finish- a top for myself, a twin size blanket for Lil' Man, and a few tops for frog before Saturday.
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...