Monday, July 30, 2007

That secret road trip, thrifting find, poultry update

As I mentioned previously, we made a trip to view some land. The land turned out to not be for us. There is a 1/2 acre flat area about 50 feet higher then the other 6 1/2 acres. The lower acreage flooded last year which does not make me feel good. Having a barn with poultry, goats, and cattle down there to chance is not what we want. We LOVED the area and am determined that is where we will buy. Land is cheap there, which means we can have our 10 acres (or more), the big 4 bedroom house, a nice barn and a decent greenhouse and not have to struggle. The realtor had her friend (who lived a mile down the road and had a hottie for a husband) meet us at the property. She was better able to tell us about the community, the school and even better first hand about the property. They drive by it every day. That is how we found out that last year, the entire bottom acreage flooded at least 1/2 a foot deep. We will continue to work with this realtor in our search. We are determined to buy before winter in that school district.

Stopped off at the thrift store for some kitchen towels- they alsway have those great waffle cloth kind for 50 cents- and I never leave without a look in the kitchen aisle. I keep my eyes open for big stainless steel bowls, possible cheese mold items, vintage picnic supplies or great old fashioned but in great shape kitchen ware. i am still looking for those old wooden box bottomed coffee grinders. I did spot one today but they priced it at $8. Just too pricey in my opinion for something that may not work. but I did find a great partner to my old picnic basket- which needs to have a few repairs on the edges.
A vintage jug thermos! The tag was in mint condition till the soapy water washed over it. DARN! Oh well, at least the jug is in mint condition inside and out. Just look at that aluminum handle. Not a speck of rust or discoloration. The lid untwists to reveal a small cup inside. Lift off the cup and the rim is wide enough for a soup ladle! Perfect for those fall outing picnics and I want to bring along some soup- some like that wild rice and sausage recipe I made last fall.
This just gives me another excuse to make another one of those picnic cloth sets-complete with a bib for Frog. One set with green, yellow, and tan colors to match my picnic set above.
The Muscovy ducklings are growing fast. There are 2 that are half the size of the other 14. Yes, that would be 16 total since another duck in my care has drowned in 4 inches of water... Poor thing must have got in and could not find its way out before the cold night came. So I moved the pool to a spot where it is on a slope . It puts the water in half while the other half is dry. They have steps to get in and out just to be safe.
Since we did the road trip this last weekend, I had to clean out the goat cabin, weed a 1/4 of the garden- since it has been wet for 2 weeks increasing their size like steroids, and visit the feed store for Chicken food. Those broilers are not at the size they should be by now. its my fault. I did not want a bunch of dead chickens due to all that eating, so I thought if I slowed them down some, it would increase their vitality and keep deaths at a minimum. Wrong. We are still down to 9 out of 15. So it goes to show, next time I will let them suck up all the food they want and not feel guilty. But D***, they eat alot despite my rationing. They are scheduled to go to freezer camp on the 20th. I hope I do not have to bump it up a few weeks. I want some fresh chicken for the captains birthday. Which is no longer a toga party. Too many people will be out of town, so maybe next year.
Enough rambling. Off to bed with you!
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...