Friday, August 17, 2007

"Holy crap!"

I screamed as I flew out of the tomato patch. Of course all goats, chickens, & ducks ran for the hills, leaving me in their dust. What happened, you may ask.
Well, I was working my way through all the tomato plants, gingerly lifting all stems & branches in search of any ripe fruit. I noticed 2 purple Russian orbs laying at a plants base ( I think it is a mixer since it appears to grow red & purple fruit- more on that later). As I stepped closer and deeper in the plants, I see something slither inches from my hand as I reach for the two purple tomatoes. A freaking snake! From the half I did see, it had a thin upper body. But I wasted no time sticking around to see more.
I have issues. Who doesn't. But today the one about snakes came out. I never had a problem in my youth hanging lizards from my ear lobes ( they open their mouths when you catch them & then you put your lobe in their mouth- hey- I was a kid...). I did not mind snakes but did not have a desire to handle them. Now as an adult I find I cant stand them out in the wild. To see them slithering gets my heart racing and my feet jumping.
After going through a few scenarios of what to do about my situation, I came to the conclusion the snake had to go. Evicted from my garden immediately. After all, my flops and garden basket could not stay out with all the baby poultry around. They like to hop into the basket gobbling all that I have harvested then run off only after I dump them out of it.
So I go back up to see where it was. This time, I see its back half slithering towards the Zinnia's. A fat middle section which indicates to me, our toad habitat became a snake buffet and most likely the one lone feeder fish in the little pond is no longer likely swimming.
Well I lost the snake but did find this near where I came in contact with it:I wear a size 9 (US) in womans shoes which would be a size 7 (US) in mens. I would guess this snake to be a full yard (3 feet) long.
Go ahead and laugh. Thats fine. Everyone has their issues and their things that scare them. But its not that i am afraid of them. No. They just creep me out the way they slide along the ground weaving in S's and the way they stand up with their tongue all hissss. sigh...
Just creepy.....

SSSweeet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...