Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mid week update

The chickens were sent to camp yesterday. They came back small and not very meaty.I stopped letting them gorge all day on food since they were dying off- one every week. We started with 16 and by yesterday we had 9 left.
Being just 3 weeks younger then the delaware hens, did not leave me impressed with their growth. They should have been at least the same size since they are bred to gain so much weight 3 times the average chickens rate..
So another lesson learned. It was not cost efficient for us. they went through a bag of feed every 2 weeks at $14 a bag. Which puts them at 4 1/2 bags. plus the fee for camp being almost $20. add it up and it comes to $83 to put meat in the freezer from 9 small chickens. Divide that up and it comes to $9 a bird. (don't bother correcting me- I hate math) A waste of money. I do not count the birds who passed on since they did not provide anything but added to the feed bill. Buying big like farmers is not an option. So cross breed experimenting we go....
Its been very hectic around here. The Captain is on vacation from work. He gets 3 weeks but we split it up so he gets 1 week every 4 months. My dearest and closest friend is flying in tonight all the way from Kansas city. "Angel" and I have been the best of friends since we were teens living in southern Florida. we spent our days lounging on the beach or by the pools and the nights... well- just say we had a great times. Lots of freedom and no worries.
We try to switch every other visit with me there, her here, and so on. But having children puts a dent on trips for me. She is lucky enough to have all her children in school so no worry on babysitters. I owe her a visit, but she decided to come to me. Now I owe her 2 in a row....
I hope to take her down to Hocking Hills for a great hike through the rocks and a delectable picnic of a Ploughman's lunch.
A visit to Old man's cave is a must. My Father in law grew up down in the area and tells us of his childhood memories which include many of Hocking Hill's sites. It would be nice to hike those trails and share the landmarks he has spoken of. She's not a country girl. But willing to hike for beauty.
We have no other plans but to sit back and reminisce with a good ol' bottle of Jose'.
Sunny dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...