Friday, January 25, 2008

Garden seed order

The seed catalogs are truly some of my most favorite Winter reading. It is a time for exploring. A time to read every description, drawing the image in your mind. Placing it in the garden you have pictured for the upcoming year.
From picking the right yellow, orange, and red tomatoes. To the new taste adventure of a Delicata squash. All to find a place amongst last years saved seed of favorites. I savor my time with each publishing. Some may be scanned once, others showing the worn corners within just a week. Red marks circling a variety to consider. And rarely is my mind settled by the end of January.
This year, I have the list made and ready to place my order in February.( That is of course, I do not fall into more seed temptation). There are 2 catalogs sitting next to the reading chair, corners bent and roughed up. Covers folded back to the last well read page.
Pine Tree Garden seeds and Bountiful Gardens.
From Pine tree seeds, our order will be
#141 Homemade pickles #203 Pinetree loose leaf lettuce mix
#82803 Bush Delicata squash #410 Taxi yellow tomato
#16 Romano pole bean #38004 Long Island cheese squash
And from Bountiful Gardens the order is:
For the beasties~ Mangels (VBE-2500) 2 packs Medium red clover (CCL-7000)
Agriculture Mustard (CAG-6910)
For us~
Early Nantes carrots (VCA-2930) Jarrahdale pumpkins (VPU-5000)
Strawberry spinach `aka beetberry (VGR-3830) Winter Density Romaine lettuce (VLE-4230)
seeds for kids offer packets (MSE-6430)
I had wished for Rosa Bianca eggplant which neither carry.( **correction** Bountiful gardens has Rosa Bianca. How did I overlook that?!)
There are a few others I so desired and will have to wait on.
Our seed box has a good choice of heirloom/open pollinated tomatoes and flowers. it is not what I would call a great seed bank. That is where this years garden will come into play.
I will continue to look over the seed catalogs and imagine my dream garden from their pages. More herbs, or perhaps more color in carrots? Maybe saved pennies can be turned into another order...

Sweet dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...