Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Major goal accomplished- almost & a new cool blog I discovered.

The big order is in! I received a catalog from Stark brothers 2 weeks back and decided to order from them. Why? Because of the "Bumper crop" listing insert. I was able to purchase :
1 dwarf size "stark grand gala apple tree for$15.99
1 standard size Red haven peach tree for$14.99
1 dwarf size Reliance peach tree for$16.99
tree starter fertilizer small size for $5.99
2 concord grape starts for $3.49 each
2 dwarf size Stark Beach plum trees for $10.99 each
plus the "Northern Blueberry assortment
(1 blue ray, 1 jersey, and 1 blue crop plus soil acidifier) for $32.96

Along with the $5 coupon and 6 free Asiatic lily bulbs for spending more then $45.
They are pruning the trees for $1 each which brings me to a total with shipping around $125.
I know it seems like a lot of money as a whole, but if i had done this 4 years ago as I had desired, I would already have the mini orchard established. Buying them gradually never worked out since each time I planted an item, it never flourished and was a total waste. (a peach tree, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.) All bought from local garden centers. This time, I will with the big guys.
The Captain was working at another terminal for a few weeks which he was receiving 50 cents per mile traveled as an incentive for agreeing to help out. The extra( after his real expenses), pays for the order. So no out of pocket money for the plants and they come from a reputable nursery.
The "bumper crop" insert showed prices of 50% off regular ones in the catalog which brings me to a savings over $90!
There are a lot of dwarf size trees in the order. The space is not a factor for our 1 1/4 acres, but earlier production is. Dwarf size trees will produce 1-2 years earlier then the standard size which makes it ideal for our situation.

The beautiful freak weather of 65 F degrees kept us inside no longer then an hour. That hour was at the local library where I was able to read up on some fruit tree care and management. I am in love with the French pruning/training called Espalier. This site has a great explanation and shows how to do it.
I am actually entertaining the idea of Espalier pruning for the Beach plum trees that (may) go in front of the basement glass block windows. About 15 feet away, but forming a spaced "front" to the Pergola planned for that area. We will make the top and 1 side from lattice sheets and not solid wood beams.( less expensive that way). The pergola is support for the Hop vines the Captain desires to grow. ( He wants to get back in the beer brewing hobby with his dad.) And also provides a private nook I can sip morning coffee in and possibly an intimate dinner.
Clicking through pictures of French Potager (kitchen) gardens, I came across a Flickr account here that I quickly bookmarked and knew I would return to look through such mood lifting photos. I discovered in the profile that the photographer has a blog.
So if you have some extra time, be sure to check it out. I am going back through the entries and pictures and thought I would share what I am currently devouring.
The French Gardening topic has really got a hold on me right now. Wish I could make my gardens as beautiful as the ones I have seen. Beautiful kitchen gardens that please the eye , soul and belly. I can at least peek in on others and try to work with molding mine that way.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...