Saturday, December 19, 2009

American Girl Historical series perfect for the Homesteading girls!

Who would have thought how hard it would be to find awesome gifts for our children that do not require batteries or large amounts of money. Our kids attend public school so their exposure to the big "gotta have the biggest and best right now" attitude is unavoidable. Is it bad I preach this yet yearn and dream for a red Kitchen aide mixer with cool attachments?

With Panda , I have an ally for keeping everyone at least touching a "grounded" attitude. As much as she wants for things, they are at least of use sprinkled in with the typical child wants.
She is at the age of seeking out what her "thing" in life is. What she is best at. She is like me in more ways then her looks so I try to help her not feel so lost while she is seeking this out. She loves reading and really enjoys the subject of Nature, animals, and the American Girl series has been a hit for years. They tie in very well with our way of life and seem to help explain things in a way at her level of understanding. Not to mention the conversations and questions they produce during dinner.
She loves helping out in the kitchen, which I want to encourage but have wondered how I would encourage her to feel independent instead of me instructing her. I want her to discover & enjoy what it is she wants without me hovering.

Then I found this series at the North Canton, Ohio Border's book store (at clearance for $4.99 a book!):


They come with table conversation cards, cookie cutters, a decent amount of recipe's pertaining to that girl's era with much more. They have it set up so you can have a theme lunch/dinner party using the supplies included with the book. Fun for the family, a girl sleepover or having extended family come "visit for the holiday's" entertainment.

I also found this at the same store $3.99!
(Click the title below for a link to amazon where you can preview this and the ones above)


Of course I picked all of the above up. 5 gifts for what would most likely be the cost of just one item. ($24 before taxes) which would not be as much fun, last as much time or give as many potential great memories.
I feel this is a total score on a gift I am most excited for her to get. Besides the Camo pants and orange pink tank dress I made for her American Girl doll...
Lots of baking yet to do. A wood burner flume pipe to fix and Coffee fire starters to try out- a quick how to with pictures coming soon!
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie












0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...