Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Furniture Graduation!

As I mentioned before, I have been changing up our living space outside and in. While I was at the local thrift store I spotted a vintage looking 3 tier food hanger! Not sure how old it is, but I love it and knew it would make for the perfect problem solver in a certain corner. Any idea on it’s era?


Here we are 8 years later and that corner is still a stand out blandness. That is until I find an eye catching solution!


The Captain and I have been discussing furniture as of late. First, You need to understand the last time we bought NEW furniture was almost 10 years ago. It was such a beautiful set from Broyer hill. Complete with coffee tables (and a price tag one should not be spending on furniture when you are just beginning a family.Once again the reason babies should come with a "warning this child will wreak havoc once mobile" label!). But at the time we were unmarried and inexperienced parents of a new toddler.
In the first 4 months, we had it cleaned twice. In the first year we had it cleaned 7 times… It got to a point we used that warranty so much they refused to do it anymore, saying the stain blocker has been weakened by so many cleanings, the stain warranty has been voided.. Humph.
We got our money’s worth on it for sure. From juice cup spills to potty training accidents and baby messes. The life of our furniture deteriorated rather quick before our very eyes.
Add in child #2 and 3. Well, it actually did not last much past the toddler years of Lil’ man so we have had hand me down couches ever since. The kind where you throw an old sheet over the couch because the new $10 sheet looks nicer then the couch. The kind that is older then you are and a style reminiscent of a frat house porch. ( fitted Couch covers are not cheap plus finding one to fit odd shaped arms on a sofa did not turn out easy). So we gave up on having nice furniture while the children were still young.
Well, we have decided since Frog just turned 4 years old, it is time we graduate. Graduate from the college porch quality and style to new “adult” furniture.
The living room style as much as I have tried, is rather ummm… embarrassing. I have a bakers rack which holds most of my books, a few misplaced toys and an antique mirror propped on the top. Not to mention the various other shelves and tables of no matching quality. So when I received an email about living room furniture at the Living rooms direct site, I was impressed with their selection and pricing. They are owned by CSN stores.
As to the bookshelves issue, I am looking at this piece 2 piece ladder shelf. One being small, is perfect for plants at the top and Frogs books on the bottom. The larger would be an organized heaven to all my books I seem to have accumulated. Not novels ( I just read my first novel in 4 years this week) . But herbal, gardening and Homestead topics I find I go through often. Those shelves would match very well with the style we are gravitating towards.
As to furniture, we learned our lessen with Upholstery. They stain, rip easily plus hold odor. Besides, we have The Captain’s awesome antique leather chair which belonged to his grandfather. Of course it has proven in a house of constant babies and/or toddlers, Leather is the way to go. Unlike fabric, a rip or hole does not fray. They have a putty like material which can be easily blended to cover it up. I am looking at this leather sofa or maybe this one. They have a free shipping option and the prices as you will see are most agreeable. We have shopped around for leather and “pleather” type furniture which has left us aghast from the price tags. (cheap pleather was around $450 minimum and nice not fake looking leather ones were starting at $999 (U.S currency). The links above is more to our liking. It may be a bit before we do get to Graduate, which is just fine by me. (I still fear what havoc they would wreak with all that climbing, jumping and other normal kid acrobats.) As long as we get leather look and durability, I do not mind the wait.
Stay Tuned! Something to do with cutting and sweetening for our next Giveaway! In the mean time, be sure to get your comment entry in for the last Nordic ware Mini Scone pan giveaway! The deadline is for December 19,2009
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...