Sunday, December 13, 2009

Frog’s Eczema Salve : a Mother's fight against the steroid solution.


I never thought I would have to deal with something so persistent as Eczema. Frog started showing signs of it last April. Just 3 years old. The inside of her elbow’s started as small patches which many thought was poison ivy. I knew it was not, but considered maybe it was some other outdoor irritant. ( The women in our family do not get poison Ivy. But Lil man.. He never goes a warm season without patches showing up on his legs and The Captain is no different.) She would get runny noses and coughs just before another flare up begins. Even during a flare up, she would have constant runny nose and a cough.


This shows the healing spots which is where the eczema began. This is nothing compared to the painful angry red patches we have battled.




It went from half dollar patches to all over her body. 75 % of her back, many patches from small to large on her arms, to the bending back area of her knee’s and even around her eyes. Nothing I did stopped the spreading or decrease the intense flare ups.
We have tried to isolate what was triggering her eczema to no avail. It became so bad I had to cave in and get the steroid cream from the doctor. She was on the cream for almost 3 weeks. I saw instant results the first few days. It did not last long. After one week, we missed a single dose and it came back full force overnight. If you have read anything on the subject of the steroid cream, you know that it can affect the hormones, the liver and possibly cause diabetes with so much more bad side effects with continual use. I kept applying the cream for a few more days but it never fully went away and her scratching never stopped with it’s use. I worried about infection and scars. I now look back and see it as the steroid creme suppressed the symptoms as long as it was applied twice a day, but did not "heal" it.
So one night I had a dream. You know the kind. Where your mind is so focused on a troubling event it takes over your night time thoughts. I dreamt of my garden. I was picking calendula, red clovers and Comfrey. I was so proud of how well my herb garden had come along over the years. My collection of medicinal herbs being my greatest enjoyment. I remember that I became rather upset when I looked around. It appeared my nettle patch disappeared. But in reality, I have no Nettle patch. When I woke up, I remembered a post from the Green Woman about picking Nettles in a glade. I do love reading about herbs on her blog.
Another inspiring Herb Goddess I enjoy ever so much is Dancing in a field of Tansy. I am hoping to subscribe next month to her Herbal Roots zine. Panda would absolutely love it, as would I. These are just 2 herb related blogs I enjoy which happen to be among the first I discovered many years ago.
I researched some more on Nettles and discovered it is an ingredient many Herbalist may recommend for Eczema. Not only in the ointment, but as a daily tea.
I make Frog a Nettle, chamomile and orange peel tea twice a day. This helps from the inside to support what you are fighting on the outside. A tad of Honey and she comes back for seconds. By starting the tea on a regular basis, I have noticed after 1 ½ weeks, any new patches do not flare up so angrily as the past ones. I am still experimenting with right portions on the tea combo, but will share it when I see the results I hope for.
“ Many patients have discovered that allopathic or Western Medicine does not always have success with eczema. Conventional treatment and complementary treatments should not be considered 'either/or' for the condition. The best therapy is the one that works best for an individual and the only way to find it -- is by trying and experimenting.
Generally, Eczema, or Dermatitis, as it sometimes called, is a collection of skin conditions that can affect people of all ages. The milder form is characterized by dry, hot, and itchy skin, but in the more severe form, the skin becomes cracked and has been known to bleed.
Although not contagious, it can be an embarrassment to many unfortunate individuals. Some conventional treatments can cause the skin to be less inflamed, but the skin is prone to additional flare-ups from time to time.”
You can see in this picture she is developing new patches on her back and armpit/shoulder area. But once again this is very mild and I do believe it is due to the tea combo I have been giving her. They seem to no longer get past this point with the treatment we follow now. The old spots which have healed, leave white pale skin where once inflamed, almost burn like patches use to be.

This is what my dream led me in an effective treatment (10 times better then the doctor prescription method in results. Not to mention none of those horrible side effects). Just a side note, we have missed an entire day of applying this treatment which did not result in any lapse of healing. It seems to continue healing and working it’s magic long after it wears off. Just be sure the skin is clean before applying. You do not want any dirt or such trapped in the skin while you are trying to heal it. Click here to go to my second "info keeper blog" for ingredient explanation and recipe*.
My conclusion?
The prescribed steroid cream will help supress the eczema symptoms as long as it is applied on a continous 2X daily method. This salve along with the tea combo actually heal the eczema condition and is fighting off what ever is causing it without a contiual daily application. Not to mention no more runny nose and cough!.

I make herb infused oils from the plant matter throughout summer and into Fall. I used true essential oil for the Rosemary, Patchouli and Tea tree since I had these on hand.
There are many salves I have tried on her eczema and this last one was the jackpot along with being sure she drinks her nettle mix hot tea twice a day. The salve is put on in the morning and just before bed at night. In between I apply Oatmeal Honey all natural lotion which I get from Kim at Old Wives pails.
It is the only lotion she can use without irritation or burning. No other sensitive skin lotion will work like this stuff has.
I hope this will help other mother's who may be battling this dreadful condition. Just remember, I tried the steroid cream as what I thought to be a last resort. Experiment with natural treatments but do try to leave the steroid as a last resort. I only used it in fear of her intense bloody scratching which almost became infected and the spread of eczema circling her eyes. As a mother, you know your own child, but there are times a doctor is best to diagnose or help with such a condition.

Be sure to get your entry in for the last Nordic Ware Mini Scone pan in my post 12/11/09 at this link*

Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...