Friday, January 28, 2011

Budget French Country look with Glam Results

You have heard it all before. I am so in love with our home and could not be happier with our fortunate find. The country cottage appeal fits my dream style. Previous occupants remodeled the kitchen sometime in the 1980's. Lots of cabinets and counter space. Open floor plan. Counter top range and insert oven. Perfect set up but the the green color counter tops need to go.They drive me crazy! Hopefully sometime in the future I will be able to accomplish my own updated touch.
As for you....
There is no need to go out and buy all new cabinetry when what you have is perfectly sound. New hardware is easy as well as a perfect way to update the cabinet style. You may be thinking the same as me. Ugly counters are not cheap to replace on a small budget. That is why I am excited to have found all these great products for going ugh... to wow!  in the kitchen. It's a face lift with out the heavy lifting. Like giving walls a fresh new color and not  installing new drywall

Taken during our first month here, our kitchen is an L shape. Below is just the main portion of the Kitchen room, minus the bottom of the L:
I found a product from Rustoleum which paints the counter top. The best part? It's $20 a can {at my local hardware store}. Covers 25 linear feet of average counter top space. There are 16 colors to choose from and it contains HomeShield(TM) Antimicrobial Protection which will protect the painted surface by inhibiting the growth of mold and mildew and other odor or stain causing microbes. Cool, ay?  
 This is the color style I would like to achieve for my kitchen:
Tile range top back wall. A light wall color and one cabinet pair with glass front panels between the sink & range.
As for that yellowing refrigerator? How about some Appliance Epoxy spray! This will give a smooth washable surface, renewing your appliance in your color of 5 choices. For the exterior of appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, laundry machines, and other indoor metal applications (cabinets, tables).For me, it takes away the off white fridge to a black, matching the other appliances.
 To add character to it's doors, how about some Chalkboard paint or...this had me shocked to see, DRy Erase board surface paint! {Apply to metal, wood, masonry, drywall}. My wee ones adore the chalkboard Fridge doors they see on the Nick show "Good Luck Charlie", which has them begging for chalkboard surfaces.
This would also be a nice touch to cabinets. Chalkboard paint on the the main face board, leaving the trimming in a contrast color, matching the rest of the cabinetry Perfect for jotting down notes like Buy crackers or Keep out of the cookies! Another WOW factor... How about making those cabinet panels Magnetic!
I wish I could share the pictures of these amazing ideas, unfortunately, the site will not allow picture save. So click here* to go there*. Click on the Indoor index card to see these great Budget friendly Kitchen Makeovers.
Now I must find a product which will clean off the nasty build up and lighten the cabinet color. I rather like the light wood. Much easier to clean with the trimming, compared to a painted surface.Grime & dust appears to build up faster on the face trimmings when painted. 
**Rustoleum is in no way affiliated with The Unusual Farm Chick {and vice versa}. They have no clue I am writing this post. Of course, if they should feel so inclined, I am open to any of these great products to arrive at my front door.For experimental purposes of course. Just throwing it out there. 
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...