Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dreamy Chicken coop & The Fancy Farm Girl

I came across the blog of The Fancy Farm Girl while searching for chandelier pictures. What does the site have to do with Chandeliers?
This:
I am smitten with her Chicken coop! The Captain gave me this look of "Hun, you have hit the top of crazy idea's" when I showed him this picture.Explaining what I have in mind for our Spring Project. I began crunching numbers and drawing plans in hopes to replicate at least the feel of the Coop's interior. It needs to be half of her size. Just a small "sitting area" for me.I plan to have an electric chandelier as she has done, instead of a plain light bulb. {like "normal" chicken coops have}.Making it an unusual Coop, complete with Acrylic crystals. Walls rustically painted in white. An old comfy chair for sitting with my ladies. The chunky wood shelves and other Farm Chic' touches.
I had an antique chair like this, which belonged to The Captains Great Grandmother. Makes me wish he had kept it for the above purpose. For me. Not the chicken.
She does explain, the coop can only stay this clean with daily attention and Biweekly intense clean out.  Nothing new to me and easily done since I spend majority of my energy in the garden & chicken run. I have no goal of having one so pristine, but changes in the floor plan hopefully keep the Fancy coop look.
Mine may not be as big. It may not be as breath taking dreamy. But I WILL use her inspiration while making the bigger coop for our new batch of chickens. Our current coop is big enough for 8. A quick built coop from when we moved here last July with only 3 nesting box's. 
Now That Mr. & Mrs. J are splitting the chicken eggs with us, we will have around 24 laying hens this summer. Bigger coop and more of what I would like to see. There is no rule of chicken husbandry that states all Farm housing should not be as pleasant for humans as well as the animals.
Seeming over the top and ridiculous to you? After all their just chickens, right?
Wrong. Not for me. I prefer to live this life indulging my senses of pleasure. I would rather have a beautiful  coop I WANT to spend time in, then to have one only serving a sheltering purpose. Besides. It's my coop and I'll make it pretty if I want to...
Just think, Rainy day's will never be the same.
I already have a piece with plans of incorporating in the new coop. I was sent a plastic birdbath which was not the same as the description on site. It was suppose to be a fountain birdbath complete with pump. So the company is sending me a different bird bath at no charge. { I have nothing but positive things to say when it comes to the CSN stores customer service. Quick to make things right, going out of their way to help and always friendly.}
 Even better, this one comes with a water wiggler that runs on D cell batteries. No electric needed and easily fits in the plan of Garden use.

 The first one is nice but does not fill it's original purpose. That means finding a way to make it useful. I plan to use it in the new coop after I do a crackle finish on the exterior. I am not sure if I will use it as a high pedestal feeder OR if I will try to incorporate it as a Nesting feature. I guess that will be discovered once the coop is built and decor has begun.

Be sure to check out more on The Fancy Farm Girl's site. She is a Photographer as well as a true blue Farm Girl. I am currently going back in her archives, catching up on all I have missed.  An Unusual Farm Chick, after my own heart.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...