Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter surprise spoutings

Before the big snowfall, I had the big idea to begin my bentwood arch in the garden. Big idea that I got as far as the main arches. The wattle weaving will have to wait until we get some more odd warm & dry winter days. The arbor is a tunnel effect for when you enter the garden, just past the River stone & sand entry I put in last Fall. As you can see, we have yet to paint the inside of the picket fence. {So ignore that eyesore}. If I come into anymore brick, this path will go the entire length of the enclosed garden.
Back to the Bentwood arbor area. As I dug the ground for putting the arch ends in, I noticed greenery popping up from under the leaf mulching. I had noticed them earlier in the month but thought for sure they would have died back with the intense change of weather. I was wrong!
Looks like I have around 5 chamomile sprouting up in the area they grew last Summer.

There is one in the pathway which will be transplanted if it holds on until Spring. Weird really. Until this house, I had never had much luck with Chamomile. Now, it's sprouting by itself with vigor!
I made my way to the kale bed and found the rabbits must not detect them, being all tucked under more leaf mulch. The warmer days have the Red Russian seedlings we began in the ground last Fall, popping past their blanket.
I made my way out to the Elderberry patch for some inspection for determining IF they were spaced enough to move them further apart. My fear was their root systems being so close it would kill them to do a separation. We have been clearing the area not far from their spot in hopes to move a few into a row verse their wild sprouting of a cluster. The weather has been playing tricks on them as well. Green buds have begun to grow past their protective dormant shell.

Now off to inspect the Apple trees on the South yard side. I adore this apple tree which sits on a slight hill of the front yard. It's lower trunk branching is dreamy. Pictures do not do this gem justice. With the one long branch reaching out, it's the perfect spot to climb up and lean back, gazing into it's intricate display above.
And the moss... Oh I do love the ground around this apple tree. Portions of it's root system poking through the surface with patches of Moss interspersed amongst it's feet.
Now if there were just one apple tree in the South side yard I could only keep, it would be that one. Why say such a thing? Because they are under attack! Well, not this gem but an apple tree closest to our house on the south side is smothering in Oyster scale! At first I thought the tree had a disease but with further research & a helpful forum post, I found our culprit. Despite looking like an apple tree disease, it is an invasive insect.
Oyster scale is not a disease on apple trees but an infestation of an insect exoskeleton of the female insect. The shell is protecting the eggs she has laid on the tree, which will hatch in spring of larvae.
This is just a 6 inch area of a very close snap shot. Compared to a tiny grain of rice, imagine the 8 ft of trunk from ground to first branch COVERED in these.
If the Oyster scale can not be eradicated with the organic oil methods then I must discuss with Mr. & Mrs. J the possibility of cutting her down to prevent this from spreading.
 For now the ground is covered with a thick layer of bright snow. The only wondering about I will enjoy is to the woodpile and back for some cozy by the fire reading.
OH! I am most excited for my next trip out to White Willow's home. We have decided to learn some West Coast Swing dancing. Of course we could never afford lessons in a studio, so I found a few DVD's at the local library we plan to try out. Although I do not foresee us hopping the dance floor in public anytime soon, it is surely to be a blast learning the basics. Who knows, maybe I can talk Her & Dirk the Dude into some swing music for the outdoor nuptials reception.That gives us 1 1/2 yrs to look like we actually know what we were doing. After all, it would go perfect with the Vintage Nature theme we are coordinating.
I have something special on it's way from a small Nursery in Lincolnshire England. So keep watch for a special posting on my anticipated package.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...