Monday, October 23, 2006

Making a list...

Starting my list of gotta gets. This is just a sampling of my findings in my search for inexpensive Home Dairy needs. I have 2 dairy goats so my needs are not major. I do need to keep the cost low. I refuse to pay out alot of money just because its use is for a dairy and not the common household.If the product is the same item just a different named use, then its good enough for me.

This is a seamless stainless steel pail. This is sold for ease in a dog kennel so has one flat side. Now if i were to purchase such an item say from
Hoegger supply
or say from Lehmans,
I would not get them at the price found here ($14.99 US)! I like that it has a flat side! I think it would be easier to pour with into a filter and to have it pushed back against the counter wall to prevent and mishaps. They also have the same Seamless SS pails in a 6 quart rounded shape for $11.99! I have noticed the trend in such things having a bigger price tag when it is for livestock in comparison to household type pets. I have found that with collars too. Not on everything but I am seeing a trend in my research. Spending $15 compared to $30 or $40 on a 6 quart pail is a much better deal. Money saved can be used on a mini strainer with filters or just buy an extra pail so you always have a backup. After all, the milk is only in there for the duration of milking and walking to the kitchen for it to be strained.
In my search for aquiring all the proper supplies, I found a recipe for the teat dip/udder wash on fiasco Farm's website. She wrote that she has not had a case of mastitis or udder pox since using the recipe she shares with us. She also gives you a disposable alternitive to purchasing a teat dipper.
I read a tip on a forum for those seeking cream separators to not bother unless you can get one at an auction, since new they cost around $300. They said to use one of those old ice tea jugs with the spout like this instead. They wrote that they had always strained their goats milk that way. They chilled their milk in the jug, then once it has separated- which can be seen through the glass - drained out the "blue john" aka skim milk till the cream is at the bottom. So a cream separator is on the bottom of needs for now. I need to make a cheese press and save all my larger yogurt containers to use for the molds. I may later this season ask on freecycle if anyone has a cheese press. I am sure someone out there has one laying around and no longer need or use it.
Can you tell I am getting excited? One step closer to acheiving my goal.
~Tammie
p.s. I have been working on a new kitchen apron for my Buy the Farm fundraiser. They will be of ordinary style and fun fabric pockets. Plus "freezer paper stenciled" with my logo which you will see when I share the first finished apron. I am working out some kinks, so hopefully before Thanksgiving, I can get that site and my Etsy shop moving! Thank you for all the wonderful encouragment so many of you have given me. I have truly appreciated it.
~T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...