Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Spring cleaning & O.k,!! I get it already....

Disclaimer** no animals were hurt while taking these photos. Mentally scarred, but physically sound.**

Today was filled with cleaning out that Goat cabin. I experimented with the "layering system" this last winter and I will never do it again. A good 2 feet deep hay/straw tightly compacted that was soaked in big spots. Must have froze during th winter because the smell did not start till I got a foot deep today. gag....cough.... hold breath for a scoop... run quickly out... and breath in fresh air.....
It felt wonderful to get it all done. I had so much of it and I knew it had to be spread out to dry before I attempt to compost since the ammonia smell was so bad. Funny thing. I have sat down in there (on a board placed on the hay) with them and could not smell it until I got past the 1 foot deep layer. That second 1 foot layer must have held it in real well.So here it is all spread out to dry in the sun. (today hit 50F and the sun made it enjoyable!)
Yes. that would be the pile of pine trees ( in the back) we have yet to do anything with. Great ideas and dreams but our time is not so creative lately.
The weather seemed to have an effect on everyone around. On the right you have Lady Chia browsing away while I make her home all clean. She must be on a line since it is a weekday-I prefer no more visits from zoning, thank you. To the left we have one very desperate muscovy drake Clyde... That would be Mrs. Turken he is being rather amorous with. Below is a close up- when I walked out I did not know whether to stare in fascination of the odd couple or to laugh my butt off. I keep the camera with me so snapped a few shots to share the Spring Love. Don't worry. I did chase him away from her. He waddled his way back to her so i picked him up and held him down to the ground whispering how the chicks/ducklings would be the freaks of the neighborhood. Could you imaginge- if it were even possible-which I think it is not. A bare neck chick with the puffy red Muscovy "mask". How frankenstein would that be?!
He appeared to have calmed his mood and waddled to the pen to watch me muck out their home. Otherwise today was uneventful. Maybe this week I can squeeze some extra money from the tree and head down to the auction house to buy Clyde yet another wife. He best hold on to this one or he will just have to be happy with a goat as his companion. You don't think he would try to mate something that big do ya?.... (LOL)
Sunny dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...