Saturday, April 28, 2007

Truck of crap, May day baskets, and "chive'lry"

Now is the time of year when the first grass mowing is put off the longest time possible so I may see what edible wild things grace the yard. Chives are very abundant and fill the air at every mowing.YUM. I've decided to make a chive bed with all plants I can salvage . such Chive'lry my dears... I just like the sound of it...big grin on face.... This use to be an herb bed by the apple tree but they never fared well in it. The chives grow in all sun conditions so I have no worries on how well they will do. Did I mention I enjoy chives!

This is also the time to begin pondering what will go into those May Baskets. This was Panda's May day 2006 basket she "gave" our elderly neighbor:

Last May Day, we included herbal teas, made cinnamon crumble muffins, & fresh Violet jelly. Which brings me to what we did today.Yep. Picked wild violets to make some jelly for the baskets. I am low on the tiny canning jars so maybe I should empty out the rose jelly from last year. I had a batch not turn out as tasty which is in the smaller jars. hmmmm.
I think we will go with some Chocolate Apricot Rugelach as the treat along with some fresh picked lawn flowers. Maybe some apple blossoms since they look to open soon. Maybe print out the May day well wishes onto some blue/white chintz design paper i picked up super cheap this weekend too..
What are your plans for May day & your basket giving? I would love to hear of them.

Today was also spent piling compost into The Captain's truck. Not because he was bad, but because my compost is just not enough yet. Go ahead. Laugh. My name is Tammie and I have an addiction. I am addicted to free compost....and many other things.... This was from a photography studio that shoots pictures of children with animals. Animals they have on their property year round. They listed the "crap" on my area craiglist awhile back, so lucky me they still had half of the mound. My truck full did not dent the amount they had. So this is going into the garden beds. Mixing it in with my own compost piles too. I read it should help introduce the right bacteria and speed things up- hopefully.
Mr.Turken may be a goner come Thursday. He has attacked Frog twice this week. as soon as she is not within my arm distance ( of course they are free ranging)- he pounces. I have had it. He waits till I turn my back. I swear he looks for it too. Maybe if I brainstorm a solution soon he can stay. But I am running out of animal housing. Maybe I will make a little covered run area for him and the Mrs. .Cut an opening from the back of the goat cabin for them to get in & out. Of course a space enclosed on the inside would benefit keeping them "enclosed". hmmmm.. can you see the wheels moving?
Sweet May dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...