Saturday, October 6, 2007

Chia and her massages- a silent video

When Chia first entered our lives, she was not too keen on being touched. I could barely get past her neck- if I was lucky. It took just a few short weeks of daily massage, slowly working further and further till her entire length was tolerated. She still does not like her back legs touched, but I'm not complaining. She has come a long way. All animals benefit from massage as long as it is not too rough and done properly. Have an animal that is a bit stand offish? That is how Chia began. Now she rubs up on me. Animal massage should be used on more farm animals in my opinion. The trust you build from the touch of your hand will benefit and amaze.
Just as it has for us.
How do I massage her? With a few basic moves. Nothing too in depth and never for more then a 5-10 minutes. I brought her to drool for the first time today. I so wish it had been on the silent video, but Panda somehow missed the button for the first one. We had to retake twice. This is the only time she has ever had 2 in one day.
Never- EVER massage ON the spine. Always massage on the sides of the spine gently, avoiding any bony/protruding areas. You may cause severe damage or discomfort if rubbing/massaging a spine or bone.
Pay attention to how I massage her neck. Just the gentlest , yet firm touch or "swipe over" should be used in such delicate areas. Start slowly and work your way from their head towards their back legs. Soothingly speak to them so they know your intentions are good. Be sure to not think of all the bad stuff from your day. Try to think positive and bright. They will be able to sense if you are in a rather cruddy mood and not "into" what your doing. I always walk away from it with a lighter heart. It's like a form of meditation for me. My mind just wanders on a cloud far away.. Seriously.. I just go blank and only pay attention to her and my hands.
I advise anyone who would like to try their hands at massage to first read a "how to" guide which is easily obtained from your local library or borrowed from a friend. The basic strokes for human use are the basics for animals. If you are lucky enough to find a book on animal massage, then do read up. You will find after practicing that every animal you meet- gets the basic strokes instead of a normal "petting".I find myself massaging the neighbors dog. A friends cow. (yes.. a cow.) and every time I go out to feed the girls I mindlessly massage. Your touch will never be the same.
I do not use any oils or lotions when I do massage on animals. The hair seems to be a great buffer from your hands and their skin. If they have not been cleaned, I warn you. Your hands may be rather unattractive afterwards.
This silent video is a rather quick rub down. Not her normal ritual. She had just endured a long one which I thought Panda was recording. So we did a retake with just a few minutes instead. My arms and hands were rather sore already.




It's not a professional video. Its not a great video. It is just to give you an idea of what my insane self really means when i say "I gave Chia her massage". Be sure to share the touch and enrich an animals life.
Have you massaged your goat lately?
Sweetest dreams,
Tammie

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional animal massage therapist. I just play one in the above video. I am in no way responsible for anyone who imitates or tries to massage an animal or human. You do so at your own risk. I just have a diploma in Massage therapy and am not licensed. Proceed at your own risk.***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...