Saturday, March 15, 2008

Roots, Thrifting, wood, and Rhizomes -What a day!

Today I taught Panda how to start root cuttings. As she went through the motions after observing my method, we discussed all the great plants we could start from a root cutting. We spoke of herbs. We discussed the difference between new growth and old growth. We discussed how although we are using store bought cuttings meant for the kitchen, we should not be disappointed if none or just a few take root. We learn from mistakes and we learn from our success. As long as you can admit and see when you are wrong, you will have succeeded and will never lose. Panda was naming off the possibilities and came to Roses. Oh, how my eyes lit up when I realized how easy it is to get cuttings from rose bushes. (I became very interested in collecting heirloom climbing roses after reading a book about the people who would collect cuttings from any antique/heirloom rose they spotted or were offered- all as preservation method. I think they were called Rose ramblers..Not sure. The book is long gone).
I must call up to Stan Hewett's Gardeners to inquire what one would do to get a few cuttings from their heirloom climbing roses...
On my thrift shop hopping today, I stopped off at the lumber store and walked out $8 later with all of this- 3 half sheets of bead board- perfect for the bathroom and saved us$40 by spending that $3!. 5 half Sheets of plywood because a woman can never have enough of that around...And the mailman (who came as I was having a fit at the children who ignored the fact Frog was swamping up the kitchen and dining room with the water sprayer while I was putting clothes in the dryer...) delivered to our door the Hops we ordered from Fresh Hops in Philomath, Oregon. The one I am holding is a jumbo rhizome of Cascade. We got 2 of them, 2 regular size Magnum & 2 reg. size Centennial Rhizomes.I have been observing the descriptions/prices at many different sites and this is the average price I found from people who specialize in Hops supply and Rhizomes. They look good to me and i see the new growth-the white "worms".
So these babies should go in the ground a few weeks from now and my fruit trees/grapes will be here in 4 weeks! Spring really is coming soon!
Sweet Spring Dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...