Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring Equinox gifts & recycling cookie box

I mentioned before how I was making berry totes fro the Spring gifts. The sanding has really built up my arm muscles! I do it all by hand- no machine sander used.
But as with many things, the gifts have taken a different turn.
I made smaller and lighter versions then my original. I grabbed a big stack of the industrial thick paint stir sticks from the store and used them for the bottom slats- making it lighter then the other wood I had- and less expensive of a project. The base coat I painted a sky blue that was left over wall paint and then added Chalkboard paint to 2 sides.
Love the chalkboard paint and started thinking what else I could paint with the 99% full can I had left.
These terracotta post were partialy painted with the chalkboard paint too. The left over ends from the thick paint sticks (I cut off to make the bottom of the tote slates) were made into Plant markers!
Huh? Oh you thought that was it? No more? Ummm yeah. I guess you could say I was in a crafty mood....
I saved a few food box's that resembled gift box's, in my opinion. The plan was to paper Mache tissue paper on them, but then I thought "why not try to paint them with the chalkboard stuff". And it worked great!REUSABLE COOKIE GIFT BOX'S!

So consider this another recycled craft!
Do not use regualr cardboard or when the chalk is wiped off with a damp cloth it may damage the box. I used a small black craft sponge to paint these. You may need to apply 2 layers so do one then let site till dry. Then add you second layer. I covered majority of the box on all 4 sides. You could write little messages, list ingredients, draw funny pictures..Lots of possibilities here. Just be sure to wrap all food placed in the box. This -again- helps with its reusable aspect.
I will be wrapping Home ~from scratch~ made White chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies & some Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in wax paper to go in the above. Then seal with hot glue- which will not tear the box when opened and there for adding to its Reusableness. (is that a word?). Total eco friendly gift box's!
sigh... i love it when a grand plan works out with more grand plans...
So remember you learned it here. And when you receive one of these babies you can say "Hey- I saw that on the Unusual Farmchicks blog!". Yep. You've seen it first here, folks.
So what are you waiting for? Get into those pantries and start brain storming what you can chalk board paint into a useful reusable item.
Sweet imaginative dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...