Friday, July 4, 2008

The home dairy and it's resourceful equipment....

You have already seen my warm weather milking station (The garage edge) and I thought I would share with you my simple filtering system. The only item purchased being 4 9/16 size milk filter discs (from the local PBS livestock store for $4 on a box of 100) with the rest being what I already owned and sat unused.
After using sensitive skin baby wipes to wipe her udder/teats clean, I milk Fernie directly into Mason jars. I have found using this method has cut back drastically on the hairs and such that happen when using a wide open item such as a bucket or bowl. Since I have just one goat to milk, this method works fantastic for me. I'm sure using this method with just a few milking does would still work fantastic, but do need to purchase larger size jars. I use 2 of the mid size jars on one doe. (one for each side...)
The equipment:
1 cocktail shaker stainless steel top
filtering discs in the smallest size available
Clean and sterilized Mason jars
I turn the Stainless steel top over to fit into the top of a clean and chilled jar . Notice the straining holes like the ones used for filtering on a milk strainer? I place the filter disk into this. Of course the disk is larger so when placing it in, it will fold somewhat to fit. Just push them flat to the sides and do not DUMP the milk in.
Just pour the milk in a steady flow being sure to not pour so fast it overflows past the filter top or into the folds.

I hold the Cocktail filter slightly off the jar for faster milk flowing into the jar. If I do not lift the top, the milk flows slower through the filter. After the milk is filtered, I place saran wrap over the jar top, wrap the excess around the rim and twist. Using a marker, I put the date and then A.M or P.M depending upon which milking session.
These promptly go into the back of the fridge for chilling. We keep our fridge real cold and if milk is placed on the top shelf, it will have ice in it within a few hours.
The rest of the used items are rinsed in cold water, then washed with hot soapy water. Then a good swishing of Peroxide to get in any crevices or other areas to prevent milk stone build up- a tip given by an old timer dairy farmer. Then rinsed in cold water before air drying and being put away. Thats it. No big expense on milking supplies. Having just 2 dairy goats, there is no need for the investment at this point.
I hope this will help someone out there who, like me, thought in the begining they would need all that equipment to get started. The milk tastes the same after all this time. Panda devours it. The cheese is fantastic. Oh and I found an inexpensive source for cultures! of course, I discovered it through Fiasco farm, but wanted to share it with you and book mark it for myself.
Dairy Connection - Cultures
My local supply uses a small packet, maybe a teaspoon worth in it which sells for $6. That is what I have available locally and have shared with them this link in the hopes they will start to order from these guys instead. I prefer to support our local brew and cheese supply shop since they are local guy owners and not owned by a chain.
The amount in each packet is 3 times or more what they carry here. Plus the selection is so much better.
Crossing fingers I can continue to keep my dollars at their place, but if they do not out source from their current supplier, My $$ will be going to the above place.
Sweetest dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...