Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hey farmchick~ What ch'ya doing in the wood shop?

Well, Glad you asked. As many of you who during winter, living in the colder regions well know. Winter can become a bit dreary without the garden tending and outdoor playing.
Some sew. Some bake. Some just Veg out. Me? I do all of the above and then some. I often play in the wood shop. Making things I desire but either can not afford, justify the prices or find to purchase. I find this hobby of playing with wood has not only entertained my over active mind, but comes in handy for around the urban farm. The more you play, the better you get. Amazing to think how intimidated I was the first time I turned a circular saw on....

Trips to the library turn out better then a shopping spree. I load up the back pack to a weight that is heavier then a small child on subjects that grasp me. Mostly how to books. I like to call them my Inspiration books. The subjects occupy my mind and dreams. Especially after a night of herbal tisane, a comfortable leather chair and good reading from the pile of books.
I am working on a few different projects at the moment. One is a garden boot scraper and boot jack. The first one did not turn out as well as I had hoped. Using recycled wood from a pallet was not the best choice... You learn from experience and move on. None the less, playing with the new 10" table saw was a blast! i love that i can now mess with angles and not screw up. One of the best $100 we have spent. (Ryobi brand from home depot- had to buy it since we are putting the wood flooring in Little man's room. i consider it a "training model".)
The next on the list is a few trug baskets I wanted to make last year and could not get my angles right. Very disappointing. But now...I can whip those babies out. I brought home some "culled lumber" from the local hardware store, at 75- 90% off the normal price if there is any form of defect. An end may have a small crack for example. If making small projects like the trug, that small defect can be cut off, leaving the remaining length perfect.
Now the big project may send some people laughing from their chairs or staring in bewilderment.
Something I have desired as far back as childhood. And until a book inspired me to make my own, I thought it would remain just a desire.
I am making a 4 poster bed with top rails. The cost-no culled lumber-around $60 for wood costs, after price checking.. This example which is similar in style, shows you the goal.
I could easily spend an additional $100 on the accessories such as decorative top finials, sultry sheers, and fancy curtain rods. But... It's me who is doing this project... I will buy the fabric for fraction of cost to make those sultry sheers. I will add interest to the woodwork with wainscoting trim, I will use a red mahogany stain to give it the look of expensive factory productions.
And still... This bed will cost me 1/8 of what it would to buy one. I get my dreamy bed and more satisfaction from making it myself.
Oh, and if you too have the desire for a 4 poster bed and wish to play with wood to make winter go by quicker, stay tuned for a complete tutorial in the future. I am very exited to share how easy it really is. Not much to cut an no angles.
I have lumber to pick up and a nice 4X8 window for the greenhouse- which has 2- 18 inch windows on each end that happen to open by winding a handle... Can not get better then that for the project... Freecycle Rocks!
Sweetest dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...