Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So much to do, so much has been done and so much yet to be...


Our Farmers market sign is done. I put the final clear coat on it after deciding I would just leave at is:

1 1/2 more weeks until the first one and looks like I will have a bit of all my tomato varieties to sell.The puppies are growing quick and this particular one (the only boy) which Panda has named Bones, may be a keeper. And yes, I am STILL harvesting from the mesculan patch by the tomatoes. There is also an underground wasp nest which has kept me away from the background fence area to weed. Got to brave it and set that hive on fire before this weekend.

The garden jungle with panda playing with Grizzle's cub's:

Panda's 10th Birthday was back on the 4th and we spent the day in Pj's.
Making bread, tending the animals, playing in the garden...

She thought it was great to stay in pajama's all day with me until it was time to go to a friends place for a BBQ- which she so enjoyed since their was a girl her age to play with. I need to take a pic of the messenger bag "adventure kit" I made for her. She told me one morning while we were in the garden how she wanted an adventure kit to explore the woods across from us with. So I made one up for her birthday as one of her gifts. An owl caller, a compass, a nice pair of binoculars, a journal, an Ohio plant & wild life ID book and a pink water bottle. I am sure there is more but I can not recall at this time.
I had a heart breaking clay moment this week. I put the clay "tile" backing on the green man fountain face as you see below. While it was drying, it cracked in sporadic spots of the background.

As I tried to think of what went wrong, it hit me. I never cut the clay away from the ceramic tile I use as a base for my clay work. While drying, clay shrinks. So as it shrunk it pulled away and cracked. So what do I do? Work with it of course! I will gently cut it away and place it on another layer of background. The cracks will just add more character to the final kilned item, adding an old Tuscany feel to it.
I have been working on herb pots for the last week. Each one gets better and better. I will only glaze the insides to keep the herbs from drying out while being stored. The exterior will remain au natural with a nice terra cotta look thanks to the clay I am working with.
I have been working from sun up to sun down on replacing all the old wood window trimming on the outside of the house. Between measuring, cutting and painting the wood...I am whooped.
I did put up 2 window box's for the top floor windows above the garage. I amazed how such a small detail adds a nice appeal to the house front. It was so plain and uninviting before.
I have party stuff to tend to for Panda's Camp out birthday bash this weekend. I still have the pink and brown paper circles to finish for her party garlands and a scavenger hunt map/clues to finish.
Oh! and I hopefully will have a silver laced wyandotte rooster (5 1/2 months old) to add to the ladies pen. I added 6 cochn chicks a week ago and a hawk has got to 2 of them. I saw my favorite grey one in its clutches as it flew 15 feet from our bay window. Whole 'nother crazy hawk chasing story..I will just add I scared the crap out of it and dropped that chick. My intention? to not let it have a meal despite knowing the chick was already dead from it's prey.
All chicks are now in the rabbit hutch with uno, the lone baby who survived the sibling escape.
2 more weeks and we should have another litter of Californians from Chubs. Gotta get momma over to the 1 acre homestead for her breeding. Hopefully the recent cool summer days will make both a success.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...