Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The night time fright...

I have a story to share about a night time visit from a pet. Not just any pet, but Panda's.
It began one night while all were fast asleep. Me being the light sleeper was awoke to a sound I have never heard before.
Scratch. scratch. flop hop.
then again. Scratch.Scratch.Flop. Hop.
For the life of me I could not figure out what it was. My mind starts creating images to rationalize the sound. A field mouse caught in a trap trying to escape? No. The Captain took care of that situation. A chipmunk trying to climb up a dresser? No. Now that is just silly. But what could it be?
So as any wife would do, I tried to wake The Captain who was deep in dream land. I whisper with a nudge, "Honey, do you her that?". No response.
Then I start recalling images from the movie pet cemetery and my sleepy imaginative mind wanders to entertain the notion of Zombie rabbits coming to haunt me.
I was not about to step foot on that floor. What ever it could be was getting closer to our bed. So I stood up and pulled a gymnastics feat to turn on the light.
I saw nothing.
Then I heard it again but it was coming from behind the bed table.
I "womaned up" and went to go peek.
It jumped right at me! I of course jump back to only discover it is Fuji.
Panda's frog out for a midnight stroll.
Daddy bought her that frog about a year ago when it was the size of a golf ball. Now it is a large lemon. Apparently life in the pond has become a tad boring with the large gold fish and bluegill.
I tried to catch it. I really did. But that slimy thing would jump at the slightest touch and hence it's name "African Clawed frog", I was hesitant to find out what it could do with the claws.

So as any good mother would do, I woke Panda up.
"Baby, you need to come catch your frog".

"Where is she mom?"

"In my room sweetie".

"How did she get in there"?

"By hopping and scratching her way from the living room into mine".

She giggles and gets up to do the scary work for me.

After we finally catch her and put Fuji back into the pond, Panda laughed her way back to bed. Shaking her head.."Oh Mom, your so funny. She's just a little frog". I mutter, "A frog with big claws attached".
So Fuji had her first romp in the house and had to be contained for a few days before I let her have her freedom.

2 weeks later I am awoken to a familiar sound.
This time, I do not wake Panda- since I need to retain some super power fearless front with my oldest child. And I use a bath towel to throw over her and grab the slimy body.
Now Fuji is going into her own aquarium..with a lid. And in Panda's room.

Maybe I can sleep now without the fear of zombie rabbits coming back to chew off my toes.
I have to admit, I am glad daddy did not buy her a spider or snake instead.
Just thinking about waking to those in my room gives me the spine shakes.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...