Saturday, July 25, 2009

To market and back with new goals for the profits


This is an awful picture but is the only one which shows the lake our township Farmer's market is held in front of. I cringe at the fact my mommy arm bulge is showing but I will sacrifice my vanity for your veiwing. Those are also the aprons I made up for us to wear at our table. Mine is from a thrift find pillow case- which Panda designed and her apron is from fabric she fell in love with plus a vintage tea towel sewn onto the front for a pocket. The picture cuts off the pretty embroidery matching her apron colors.


And this is our "not overflowing with produce thanks to the cooler weather" set up:
I made up some universal muffin basic mix and graham griddle cake mix to sell as an "add on" to the market. I found this great recipe on grouprecipes.com which Smurfeete shared from her time working at a bakery. If you click the picture, you can see how I packaged them adding ribbon behind the sticker labels. I thought it added a more personal and endearing touch to draw the eye. We printed out papers with alist of possible "flavorings" to add to the mix so that is how I came up with their name "Universal Desire Muffin mix". Below them are the Black Raspberry jam and Blueberry spread/syrup we canned up. I had blueberries left over from last week's market and what better way to utilize them as not to waste potential profit.
We also had my Rustic Villa Italian bread loaves which sold quickly. We made 1 loaf into samples and made up some of the muffin mix utilizing some left over Black raspberry and blueberries for the people to taste while they consider a purchase.
Not many people came again and we walked away with around the same as last week. BUT they are moving us more to one side so the street traffic can see the market and stop in.
I am looking into having a sign made up to put out by the main road on our side of the township. They own the property at the end of our road which is being made into a small park with walking trails so I know there would be no problem having the sign up there.
A newspaper guy came out and was taking pictures. He chatted with me for 1/2 an hour- I was the only one he chatted with. I told him about our local Homesteading group and about how it was a group of locals who are trying to do as much as possible on what land we have. He was so funny. he responded "Your not going to tell me you have a bus buried in your backyard, are you?" I responded "does a Solar pit qualify?". He laughed and then inquired more about it. We spoke of heirloom seeds and how more people need to be aware of what they are in comparison to hybrids plus why it is important togrow & save seed from OP and heirlooms. How it is more then just history of a variety, its about home grown veggies that taste superb in comparison to store varieties and brings community to people who trade and share their saved seed with others.
I know he does not read my blog, but I must say my seed saving, trading and sharing comes from a great man On Homesteading today. I am ever so Thankful we have crossed paths and am indebted to his kindness. Martin was the first person I have ever recieved seed from and that one packet of seed has given 30 some others seed to grow over the years. He is the reason behind my giving seed away here localy. To give forward and back what was given to me. I can only hope what seed I have given will continue the circle of kindness I was shown.
I have a chicken pen to rake and a baby bunny who likes to hide under the woodpile to collect. Uno never strays far, just seems to like hiding out every few days over there. Soon her chubby behind will not allow her escapes through the fence.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...