Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A week of WOW's....

We have been harvesting a lot due to the rain and an infestation of squash bugs. This sunflower which was bigger then lil' man's head was the first. All of the seed will be saved for next years planting. I like the short height and fat heads to make a wall of them along the roadside. With taller ones just behind them.


Then the Long Pie pumpkins had to be pulled despite not having all their vines and stems drying to show readiness.


Then it was time to make a big decision. It was a hard one but it had to be made.

The Captain needed 2 new tires for the back of his truck. Walked out in the morning to a flat on one side and the other was already using the spare...So there went $300...

That was money meant for the digging of the solar pit. So I had to make a choice. Camper or solar pit?

I went with this:


4 feet deep and ready for the block walls this weekend.

I was fortunate to find a wonderful company not far from me called Jeff's remodeling. He did a great job (and his pricing was very nicely competitive!)and gave me lots of helpful tips to make it a success. Of course just 1/2 hour after it was dug, the God's decided it was time for happy tears in celebration of my accomplishment... But the pit has remained strong. Now if I can just keep the kids away a bit longer till the walls are up...

The Tobacco has surprised me. This is the Havana variety for The Captain's cigars. There are 2 plants very close to each other. (lil man was snapping away and this was the only non blurry pic..)


A bushel basket gourd hanging from the garden fence. My baby brother was in town with Fiance' and he was the one to notice it. How could I have missed such a large gourd?


All the rain has afforded time in front of the sewing machine. I have been whipping up more aprons to wear at our Market stand and decided I may try to sell a few of my "re-lifed re purposed fabric" aprons. Of course my over thinking on occasion brought me onto the subject of how to display at the market with more class. I searched for a wired body Mannequin and missed the antique one on Craigs list by one day... So I made one up out of chicken wire, a planter container which goes on the top of 4X4 posts, a wooden dowel and 2 -2x4's. Voila'! A dress form which needs reinforced on the body but hey, I am almost there. This is a dress I picked up at the thrift store for super cheap and my hips were too big to fit. So I reconstructed it, into an Apron with back ties and wrap around chocolate color waist ties. (The rain was coming so the wind was a'blowing when I snapped this.)This my keeper apron. One of which I will wear during the Market days. All others I make are from Long skirts and are full front Bib style aprons with the same chunky wrap around ties for style AND a place to put the dish towel.


And one other big WOW happened. As I came back from inspecting the solar pit, I found this little guy laying cold and wet on the ground. I was so afraid the pups would get it before the mother so I never put him back out. We are tending to him until he can be released back into the yard. This is our second baby squirrel we have raised since living here. The first which was missing 90% of her tail recently passed away at 7 years old. A neighbor found her by his truck a few months ago.


Who knows. This may be one of her descendants since the nest in the tree was one of her favorite roaming spots.

Off to sew. I have 4 Aprons I want done for the Market on Friday. I need to brain storm how to reinforce that chicken wire dress form and of course what's a summer day without a jaunt into the garden for some thrilling weed pulling.

Sweet dreams,

~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...