Wednesday, August 26, 2009

We have been super busy for the last week. The rain caved a 1 foot section of the solar pit and has been causing me major upset over so many delays. I decided to just work through the rain and get the poultry their new housing. It's not cordwood as we wanted but there is a reason for that. It's not painted and there a few finishing touches to be done- ummm hillbilly air conditioned nest box's for now... But it is bad enough I am building a solar pit which may be used just this one winter before we are out of here. Well worth it if we can have the land we both desire. You will see the coop once it is finished. Not ready to share when it is still in mid project.

I have a realtor coming out on Thursday. We have been in this home almost 8 years and being our first home which we bought at 26 yrs old, we have made our fair share of mistakes. We made the mistake of taking out an equity loan after 2 years here. BIG mistake. So we have been paying out more then what it is worth. I know the economy is bad and putting our home up for sale is not going to get back what is owed. There is just too much to do to this place and I can not do it on my own anymore. The Captain works odd hours and I have had either a toddler at my feet or a baby on my hip for the last 10 years. It has become too small for our family and it's time to move on.
We have been looking around outside of this area for a home with land. Each time we look at something, it seems to not fit us. The last one had a crazy neighbor lady who came over while we were looking at the place and she went on and on about how evil the last tenants were. There was more she said which made my mouth drop- which for me means it was truly crazy. Normally I just laugh stuff off but this lady..She was crazy. So the place was a no. I'm abnormal as it is, I do not need to live next to a nosey crazy lady.
So we have another place to look at on Sunday. Almost 27 acres with a house so old I am surprised it looks half way decent. Built in 1860! "Sound structure, new electrical and plumbing, The roof was done in the last 10 years". We decided the best way to get land is to buy an old house which sits on large acreage. As long as it is livable for a few years, no reason not to consider it.
I call this one the spooky room picture. It shows the plaster walls need repair but those curtains just yell old spooky house...

Live in the house for a few years, parcel it off with 2-4 acres and resell it to pay for our home to be built. Without discussing numbers, lets just say with this place if we were to go for it the house would be sold with 3-4 acres for $85,000. A great deal for someone who likes old houses and they would still have some land with it. We would keep 23 of the acres and have our house built on it. We are still stuck on the one we found through Menards-with a few tweaks which do not raise the price much. I will post pics of the 1860 house this weekend. This is the one we want to build with the loft upstairs extending the entire house length and made into 2 bedrooms for the kids:



I love the french doors which are access to the kitchen and the other to the living room. We both fell in love with this place. Be sure to click on the blue highlighted sentence above for more info on it including supply costs. We estimate about $60,000 maximum for construction costs and well/septic installing. So you see? Flipping the old house would pay for almost all of the new house.

I have Biga starter to whip up for my bread making. I have a goal of 16 loaves to make and sell at Friday's market. Next year, I will raise the price to $3 a loaf when I hopefully have longer bread pans. For now they are in regular bread pans until I can afford "real" bake ware for making Artisan Italian breads.
A coop to paint and finish last details. A sign for the exterior which will read "Garden Coop" and a yard to clean up. Plus have Farmer market signs to make. The list is never ending...
The fire to burn all the scrap wood will have to wait till the weekend.
Crossing fingers the realtor will be able to sell this house close enough to what we owe and not be on the market for very long...
Sweet Dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...