Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ouch! my freaking foot!


Yesterday Chia had a new fence put up with new galvanized posts.Her pen is small -maybe 11x8- but after all she is a lounging goat. Not one to stray far from the goat cabin as long as it is filled with hay for her to lay in and munch on. On days that are nice or at least decent, we take her for a walk through the neighborhood. The chickens and Clyde got a smaller pen setup but are wondering all over the place since I was not able to close them up last night. As I was folding and bending the old livestock fence for disposal, One stray thick gauge wire stabbed through my boot and into my foot. I yanked my foot off and limped into the house. I thought for sure my boot would be splashed in blood. But no. No blood at first. I washed it off with peroxide and slapped a band aid on before heading back out to finish the job at hand. My foot throbbed and started to hurt real bad. I happened to have some vicodin left over from my last kidney stone bout and swallowed one down. 1/2 hour later it still hurt like crazy. O.k its been a few hours since the incident and my foot is throbbing. What to do?The Captain knows how i am about getting myself medical attention so he kept nicely asking when was the last time I had a tetanus shot. Hmmm. I don't know honey. We have been together a decade now and i do believe its been longer then that. So he offered to drive me to the walk in clinic to get one. Again- he knew if he insisted I seek medical attention I would have blown him off. After a few hours from the incident the pain was still unbearable so I asked him to drive me to the clinic. Turns out its all fine. No holes through the bone could be seen but the area around my big toe throbbed intensely. I got a tetanus, a script for an antibiotic and for darvocets. I hate darvocets! I have had to take 1 1/2 every 4 hours just to make myself get an hour and half of sleep before waking to the the throbbing pain again. I am not a woozy when it comes to pain. I gave birth Natural and have gone through many bouts of non passable kidney stones. I know pain and this darvocet crap sucks! I will be calling the clinic to see if they can call in something better.
So I am going to get back to my bed and prop my foot up until they open. It may be awhile before I get back on so I would like to direct you over to garden girls website.
Stella mentioned her over at her blog which encouraged me to direct all of you to check this woman out. She is living a classier urban homestead then me but proves it is doable even in the middle of Boston, Mass. It has given me encouragement for myself. Many new ideas and my urban lil place will be seeing some updates similar to hers.
So another lesson learned through trial and error. Never try to smash down fencing to make nice neat piles for the garbage man- freecyclers never show up for the stuff so landfill it goes. Instead just roll them into tidy rolls and be done with it.
Until next time...
Sweet dreams,
Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...