Sunday, June 15, 2008

A morning stroll through the garden....

As I strolled through the garden for my morning ritual, coffee cup in hand, I notice the little things.The lush bed of lettuce. The spinach that is starting to grow seed. The many weeds that have popped up from those darn maple tree "airplanes". A constant fight at that. The multiple weeds along the walk path which I have yet to get to.
The meat birds who have done great as weed patrol along the fence line. They get moved along the garden fence to mow down the tall grass and pests. The Captain came up with the idea when we were discussing how we wish we could do the chicken moat plan at this place.Speaking of chickens, This is my morning stroll companion. This is Pumpkin. She is an americauna which has the (most of the time) fatal disfigurement of a cross beak.
She is 3/4 the size of her buddies but that has not stopped her from being a great scrounger. I let her free range all day and she goes back in the pen at night. She does let herself in and out. She meets me by the garden each morning waiting for our stroll. I pull weeds here and there. I find grubs, bugs, and worms to feed her as she walks by my feet. She peeps at me all the time. Greets me with a sweet shrill peep as she runs to meet me. She waits for me to hold the gate open for her, despite her size which could easily slip through the slats. I try to clean out her beak every day and make sure she has her own bowl of grain. It is hard for her to pick at it, but even harder when she has competition. I hope by giving her the extra bits of attention, she will thrive just as well as the others and live a long healthy life.
My morning strolls have become even sweeter with her as my companion, chirping her good morning calls.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...