Monday, February 2, 2009

How to "Stick it to the man" or "How to beat the zoning rules"!

As you may well know by now, zoning and I are real tight. We know each other by name and well... O.k I call him "S***head and he calls me by last name...But you mention my road and he knows who I am. "That lady who is trying to raise goats out there" said with a rather snooty tone- when he did not realize it was me "that goat lady" he was talking to on the phone....
Remember my "Fight the power" chicken coop protest, on my first interactions with them in 2006? I'm sure its a sight the neighbors prefer not to recall. Hard to miss when it was 35 feet from the road and EVERYONE stared.
My lips were closed but it opened their eyes to stop the zoning calls- at least for awhile. Guess they were afraid of what I may do next to their "view"..LOl I still laugh about that one...I called to inquire about regulations on having a green house or hoop house or cold frames. Of course I was not surprised by the silly rules and looked them up to see how it was worded. As long as I make it no more then 4 feet tall from ground level, I do not need a permit or to "register" the structure. I can have cold frames without any permits but nothing can go in the front yard or be of an" unattractive sight" to the township.
Yep. I thought of a way to beat the system just because it makes me get all giggly....
A 4 foot above ground level hoop house with a 2/12 foot "ditch" in the middle for a walkway.
Here are my notes and some illustrations I borrowed for more mental picture clarity:

Building above ground hoop house with underground walk way. The above ground frame at highest point should not exceed 4 feet in height from ground level plus not be longer or wider then 10 feet. Walk way will be dug in center aisle 2 1/2 feet deep by 2 1/2 feet wide (approximant but not exact), leaving about 3 1/2 feet width on each side for plant beds. I will be making a 2 foot plant bed at the end of the hoop/greenhouse, which is not shown in illustrations (as a framed raised bed).

Total outside space size will be 10 feet wide by 10 feet long.

Frame Step #1

Frame Step #2

Finishing Step #3

Pictures found at http://www.floridagardener.com/greenhouse/greenhousematerials.htm

Great diagram for what I am doing. Makes it easy to visualize the finished hoop/green house.

Now to factor in the supplies and cost which I calculated to be under $100 if you purchase ALL supplies and cannot “salvage”…

6 Mil clear plastic sheeting of 10X25 feet long roll~ $25

2X4 Lumber pieces for all main structure framing~$30 (approximant)

2 - ½ inch weather hardy pvc pipe for “rib” holders ~$4

“Ribs”: 8- 8 foot long EMT Metal Piping (spaced every 2 ½ feet) 4 ribs on each side meeting in the middle on roof main beam.~ $18
8- conduit piping wall clips ~ approx. $9

1- 4X8 wood board for north end of hoop/green house ~$7

You can add a small fan to the north end for a breeze to caress the plants for more strength. Be sure to put a screened hole at the South end for Fresh air circulation. Be sure to visit The Door Garden over here* for instructions on how to cover your hoop/green house and making the door.
I am putting this up on the hill so it is not so visible from the road and the only way you would know there is a walking ditch is if you opened the door.

This weekend project should begin in late March/ mid April. Then its Cordwood Chicken coop Time!

Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...