Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gravity tomato and more plantings

O.k, O.k, I know the mass of you have heard of the infamous "upside down tomato growing containers" . Which I think is a great idea for space wise management. But you do not have to spend that much money to grow one plant. Instead, use a very large hanging coconut shell lined planter(see pics).
Remember to get one that has an open circle on the bottom and is not covering the coconut fiber. Check in your "pot aisle" at the store and you will also see they carry extra liners for the hanging metal cages. I paid $3 for my planter. Be sure to check out your local Dollar tree or other discount store.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I have only seen it done with hybrids which are normaly Determinate. Mine is an heirloom & indeterminate...umm... Either black cherry or yellow pear. Not sure since it was a seedling pulled with its roots intact from thinning out the others. Roots looked to good to toss, so I potted the specimen up.
Cut a small cross section in the bottom and use an old plastic lid(cut out circle for plant stem and cross cuts for drainage) if you like for help to support the plant as it grows:

Remove as much excess soil gently from around it's root system for ease in placing UP into the hole:

Situate the plant and its root system before pouring in any extra potting soil. Plant basil or parsley seedlings at the top of the planter for more space saving and pest control. Tomatoes like basil growing close by.

You may want to secure the chain to the planter with zip ties for more strength (same color as the metal to blend in nicely).
Some bending in the plant is normal as it adjusts to its new position, but will eventually straighten itself out with gravity.

If you decide to use an Indeterminate viner, be sure to hang this planter high enough from any floor/ground and do not forget you have herbs growing in the top. They will need sunshine too.
I have one more planter to ready up and plant with another small tomato and herbs.
These will grace the front second story awning once mother Nature lets the weather calm down from her cold flashes. (Please-Oh please be soon. I can not take any more of her mood swings!)
Feeling a little better. I can breathe through my nose again! But seem to not be able to smell anything... Can not decide if that is a good thing or bad thing since I have our last 5 chicks and 3 rabbits in the mud room. (Have been having predator issues and the weather cold snaps have not helped). They go back out tomorrow with a few minor adjustments to their temporary set up.
The solar pit has been dug down 1 foot! Woohoo! Just 3 &1/2 more feet to go...I can do this. I will not be deterred from my goal despite the side aches from shoveling.
At least I no longer have to worry about blisters! I won a pair of Pallina gloves from Garden Girl~ Patti Moreno, about 1 month ago. I have fallen in LOVE! NEVER have I had a pair of gloves that have not caused my hands to blister when shoveling for 6 hours. They do not sweat when I get hot, nor do they get cold when it gets chilly. These gloves are AMAZING! They even have a grommet in the ends so you can hook them on a clip to hang on a belt loop. no more lost gloves for me. I am sold on these gloves. (see my wearing them in the next picture). And check them out over here* for yourself.
Discovered some cane vines growing in the "lost and sunless" garden bed. Each year I find something new and it seems I have been overlooking these. Wonder if they are a raspberry or rose? How can you tell anyway at this stage? So I moved them into the Herb quarter of the garden.

Need to plant the Spanish peanut seeds in their cell trays so they will be ready to go out in 6 weeks. The rich soil from the solar pit area is being tilled as deep as possible before shoveling it then being transferred down by panda's garden. The soil is loose and rich. Just like the peanuts need. Adding a few watermelons above ground on the outer edges, vines growing out into the peanut plant area to experiment with how the system will work for the future. I wonder if peanuts like watermelon?
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...