Friday, April 3, 2009

rambling at 3 am about found treasures...


I have spoken before about making The Captain a cigar mold press, but after more research found it s much harder to make then I previously thought. When one can not make something themselves, you go on the hunt. A hunt for a bargain of course.
The Captain has a favorite site for buying his cigars, cigarbid.com, and I popped over to see what I could find. I was in luck. I found an old wood cigar tray mold from the La aurora cigar factory in the Dominican republic. It was signed by the the director and master zen blender Jose Blanco. To be honest, I did not care who signed it, just that it was still able to be used for the purpose. I put in my bids and won 1 at $13. Searching online lead me to find these normally have been going for $50. You can buy new ones at that price too but I wanted a bargain to start with.

Another subject from the past, Panda finsished up her Owl scarecrow from which she started back in the Fall of 2007. She embroidered the face and did such a fine job.

It sat in a box until a new need arises. Having her own garden was the perfect excuse to bring the owl head out and have her build up a scarecrow as was planned.
It rained yesterday, so it has become soaked and high winds have blown "him" down. Hopefully today will bring some sunshine to dry him up allowing an opportunity to share her hard work with you.
I am suffering from some kind of flu bug, along with the pink eye that spread to both eyes. I have so much to do but my body demanded I sleep all day. Of course between the hours of 2 and 3 am, my body demanded I wake up and stay awake. May have something to do with the fact I have been getting up at this awful hour for a month now and cannot seem to sleep past it.
I have 3 large bags of mulch I got off Craigslist and need to spread it out over the paths in the garden. Those stepping stones are not all in shape from the winter, so a mulched path will go in.
The seedlings are growing like crazy! Some tomatoes are surpassing the others in size so much I had to move them out from under the grow lights to prevent burning. I hope they will hold on for another month before I can transplant it all. Or at least untill the solar pit is in place and they can be moved out there.
Found a few curbside treasures the other day and have plans for the wood circle table. It will be sanded and stripped today in prep for its staining. Perfect for Panda's driveway produce stand. The large square galvanized tub needs a good washing and then some pastel color spray paint. I'm thinking a stenciled word phrase such as "bebidas frías" which means cold drinks in Spanish.
Lots to do now that my body feels somewhat better. Just wish I could find something to do that would not wake the family at this early hour...
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...