Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring time trash to treasures

Remember me mentioning the table top and table legs I mentioned a bit back on my curbside find? Obviously, as you see, they did not go together. The legs are from some kind of picnic table and the top from what I am guessing was a poker table top. (see the green fleece bits?)
I sanded all the dirt and grime off the top and attached those legs to the underside. Perfect waist height!

I applied a red Mahogany stain then a clear waterproof finish.
Voila! Panda's Produce table. Not finished all the way, so a pic you wil have to wait on. A few more details are being done for her.
I also picked up some lattice from the local Hardware for $1 a piece due to "imperfections". (normal price is $11) Their trash, my treasure. Found the wild black raspberries growing along a dirt road that was plowed during winter and these were growing in the area people drive.

We were having an issue with the neighboring dog barking non stop while we are up around the garden. He has that sharp annoying bark that grates on your nerves. They could care less about it and do nothing to stop it. Their windows are open, so I know they hear him. So I brought grizzle up with me while I planted all these wild black Raspberries along the fence line then put the lattice behind them, blocking a clear view from their yapper. Grizzle won the barking competition and it finally was so wore out it went away to rest. I did it hoping they would hear the commotion and come out to resolve the problem. Nope. Not exactly the kind of people you can knock on the door and and resolve these kind of things. No law here about it either. I need a dog whistle....
Mama has taken to most of the chicks, but a few Americauna's are very adventurous.
They are in temporary quarters in the garden. I did not want to add chickens I bought at the auction to my brood just yet. Towards the end of this week, their home will be moved next to their pen for more association before they are in together.
I brought Chubs, the larger Californian doe, over to Chris and Lisa's (1 acre homestead) to be bred by their buck. She took to him very well and within a short time. I knew it had to be something about our buck she was just not happy with.
So hopefully by mid/late May we should have kits. I am on the look out for a larger buck since I sold our previous one. I can not keep a buck around for the ladies if they refuse him.
I have a few blueberry bushes I ordered that should be here within the next week. The dwarf lemon tree's arrived a few back and have already shown growth of an inch! Hopefully I have success with the blueberries. I lost all the fruit tree's over the winter. I am so sick over that. I did everything your suppose to. Still, they did not survive. Thank goodness the company has a money back guarantee.
Panda's Peace symbol did not come out very straight, so we will gently move the growth to form better lines before adding in the filler greens. Not too bad for her first time...

I have natural clay I picked up last week and am impatiently waiting to have time to wrap my hands around it to play. This time, I have a kiln lined up to use for a small space fee and will get my statues fired on time. I hope my next one is pleasing. I plan to make a fairy for Panda to give to her for her 10th Birthday in July. I am still "sketching out" the picture in my mind with her woodland fairy costume as inspiration. I would LOVE for it to look like her.
I have her sign to put together now that it's dry and need to put a coat of that clear waterproof paint onto the galvanized tub for her. It will hold the watermelons she hopes to sell.
Picked up a few belly dance books at the library so I best get to them now. One comes with a dvd and I'm excited to mess with it soon. Panda wants to learn too so this will be a nice bonding thing for us. Although I do know lil' man likes to play along with those things too. I just hope all this estrogen around him is for the good and does not take away too much from growing up with less manly influences...Poor guy.
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...