Friday, April 24, 2009

Ummm...what just happened in the barnyard?

As I was getting lil' Man ready for school this morning, I peeked out the window towards the Chicken run. I have had the rabbits in there with them and had planned to put them into their hutches this weekend for upcoming births. What caught my eye was a big white fur patch in the pen but both rabbits lounging in the dirt with chickens. I went out to inspect closer what was going on when I noticed a small pink thing in the run...
What is going on?! So I get closer and notice it is a full term kit. I rush over to the A frame and discover 7 more bodies. I saw no movement. Rather angry and sad, I began to gather the bodies when I noticed a hand jerk in one. No breathing or chest movement was seen and they were ice cold. I grabbed up the 3 I saw in the open and rushed inside for the Blow Dryer. These 3 babies were the only ones I could save and am still surprised how they are alive. Within 2 minutes of warm air, they were squirming and looking for food.


The weirdest and most shocking part? The mother is Chubs! The one I just had over at Chris's for a breeding with his buck. Somehow the 2 does we have were mixed up and the wrong doe was put in our old buck (Don Julio's) cage. The other doe has shown no signs of being bred and I have tried palpating everyday when I bring them treats. I have done this since bringing them home and could never feel anything.
After getting the kit's warmed up, I flipped chubs over and cradled her to me while I placed her 3 babies on her stomach for a meal. Not sure if she had fed them after birth or not. No idea how long after their birth I happened upon them. So a gentle force feeding was done to be sure they did get a belly full after being so cold.
After half the day of being inside, I brought chubs back out to the pen so she could chill out in the dirt and chomp some clover and dandelions. She was given a treat of strawberries, grapes and red raspberry leaf along with her pellets after the whole birth ordeal.
Gotta go back out and bring her back to the kits for their evening meal. I thing Paprika will be going back into the hutch. I can not deal with losing anymore baby animals this month.
Garden will hopefully get tilled this weekend and may have a small roadside plant sale from all the Spring time herb divisions and my over zealous tomato and lavender seed starting.
Panda's produce table will be put to good use and with temps around 80 (F) degrees, people will most likely be in the mood for garden plants.
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...