Sunday, October 18, 2009

A kitchen Apothecary hutch & blending tea's

After searching high and low for a desirable Apothecary Hutch and finding plenty out of the budget, I decided to make my own. I looked everywhere for a buffet hutch that I could transform and that was a bit of an adventure just trying to find one with plain lines at a "thrift store" price. Then...I saw it.
A microwave cart on wheels priced at just $10 in the the local thrift store. I knew it was perfect to add on as I envisioned. The perfect size to fit where the heat vent is and the cabinet counter begins.
I added the hutch top shelves and an old wood window for the door. There is a white wash paint on the hutch and microwave cart which ran out before I could get to the window, so I left the green tone paint for now and will later sand it off adding a dark stain to the whole unit. I just wanted to get it done so I could get all my herbs jars put away.


The total project cost around $14 since all of the wood was from my wood bin and the wash was left over from another project. I bought cabinet hinges and a paint brush.
It may not be the one of my dreams but everyone starts somewhere.

Tea is a big deal in our house. I make our own teas to suit the tastes of our children and what ever may ail them. We have our own sleepy time, a homework time, and a light fruity ice tea blend. We have so much fun experimenting. The kids love to make up the names such as "Panda's Belly time" tea. Her own recipe which is really good. Yes. I was surprised...
So one morning as I laid in sleep/awake limbo, I thought why don't I offer our tea blends along with the Aprons on my Etsy? It would also make a great addition to my Farmer Market season. I am rather over done with baking so much bread and would like to have something I can offer at the Art & Craft shows with my sewing. Most do not allow baked goods and such, since the hosts usually offer up a booth for their fund raising.

Which brings another good reason for the Apothecary hutch. Keeps my Tea items handy in the kitchen and will add such a nice accent with all those clear glass jars showing off their contents in my dark kitchen.

It will be loose tea of which we offer, packaged in tins. I am still at the stage of trying to get the best ingredients I can find to offer our blends in. I have learned that just because someone would be offering say Chamomile in bulk does not mean it will be of a fresh and enjoyable quality. Prices vary for supplies and that too does not indicate a great product.

The Tea blends will be offered in Late November on our Etsy (which we have yet to unveil).
I have a solar pit to work on (Sun will be out tomorrow at a mid 50's F range) and some sewing to squeeze in. I may just have enough time to finish up the last bowl of the infamous sun drying tomato San Marzano's, into the dehydrator before dark. Gotta run- the kettle is whistling!
Sweet dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...