Wednesday, October 21, 2009

To feel the warmth of sun during an indian summer...

To see the leaves have changed to their glorious peak. To see the ladybugs have come out for one last flutter. And to indulge yourself one last brief moment with the sunshine heating your cheeks just day's before the frost will spread it's blanket ...
Oh, how I do LOVE Indian Summers! It's like a special gift from Mother Nature, for those of us who must suffer through the dark and cold days of winter. Frog and I celebrated this special gift by exploring the woods...
and having a picnic by the Lake with sandwiches, sliced Winesap apples (with yummy caramel sauce for dipping) and of course Fruity hot teas. She chattered away about so much the entire time, a fisherman in a boat was passing slowly and commented about how she is full of conversation.



We harvested about 6 cups of wild Rose hips and were ever so tempted by the vast amount of wild grapes...

Maybe we will go back tomorrow for the grapes since we spotted some massive patches of Burdock I so wanted to harvest but alas, no shovel was brought. How could I have not been prepared for digging a wild edible knowing it is the season for burdock root?
We are harvesting a few Jerusalem Artichokes tomorrow along with some horseradish so I can prepare some of the holiday gift giving items (Horseradish sauce).

Oh and I bet you guys thought I bluffing about the solar pit greenhouse. Just so you know it is not just a square hole laying empty up on our hill. I swear! And just to prove it I snapped this quick pic to show what progress has been made (although little as it may appear, it is actually not easy to do if there is no experience in the department), due to the rain and having to wait for things to dry before work can be continued:

One more day to enjoy of this Indian summer and I will not waste another moment left.
1/4 of the garden left to weed off and lightly till plus more herbs to dig up for over wintering in the house or in the Solar pit greenhouse. Now where did I put all those pots...
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...