Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Apple tea recipe,Fall Herb Harvest & Victorian sink find!

I think all that "hitting the ground running" caught up with me. After only sleeping a total of 8 hours in 2 nights before doing the Harvest on the Lake event plus taking care of sick munchkins drained my power and I succumbed to their ailment. I had to miss out on Dussel's since I stand firm no one sick should be preparing food for the public. I soothed my aching body with a rest on the couch and indulged myself with one of my favorite movies, Practical Magic.
The Captain whisked the children off to swim so I could pull myself together long enough for the much promised trip to the Apple Orchard of Stotlers.
Every year we pick apples for winter preserving and tea's. I thought I would share with you how we make a kid approved Apple tea. Almost like drinking a warm, fresh, apple juice!
First you must prepare your apples. I peel, core, and chop the apple into chunks. Not too small but 1/8 or more thick with the size of an average fingernail. These are placed in the dehydrator overnight just like one would for making apple rings. I store these in Jars with a lid. About 16 medium large jars last us through winter and into the coldness of Early Spring.

~Unusual Farm Chick's dried Apple tea~
We use 1 cup dried apples
3 Chamomile Tea bags
add the above to 8 cups boiling water. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
To add a touch more sweetness we use Raw local honey to taste.

Here is another version I found online

Turkish Apple Tea
1 cup chopped dried apples
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
6 cups cold water
Honey (raw & local is best)
Place all the ingredients except the honey into a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer for 15 minutes.
Strain the hot tea into a teapot. Make sure to gently push on the apples to remove all the liquid.
Sweeten with honey then pour into tea glasses.
~~~
A trip up to the garden for a Fall harvest of Calendula and Comfrey. These are to be dried. The comfrey is for the rabbits winter enjoyment. The calendula is to be dried with the petals put in a jar for later use with the Mortar and pestle while making skin cleaners/masks.

Now I do not have a picture of my new to me Victorian sink but this is so similar, it will do for now. At least until I get it set up inside.
Mine has a straight back and not the raised levels and the front is an "apron front" flat. Not the "lip rim" you see with this one. I think my looks more appealing then this one....
It has the same metal stand and the sink itself is Porcelain. I LOVE it! Perfect for Turkey time cleaning and all those garden veggies instead of traipsing through the kitchen.
It will not be attached to the house in any way except for water supply so when we sell, we can take it with us.
My baby brother Army is getting married! And I get to be a Bridesmaid!
Hey! I have never been in a wedding before so let me enjoy the newness. PLus, Army told me Marine may be/will be asking me to help plan the wedding. Can it get any better? I told him if she has a baby at home in the tub (with me getting to attend)on their future homestead I am so her best Sis for life! LOL.
They want to live the Homesteading life and both are eager to learn and experience what they can. I am making sure to set up my seed supply plentiful each year so they will have plenty to start with in a few years when they get set up. I just save 3 times as much and each spring give away my extra anyway.
I am also setting up Hope chests for my girls- plus one for Miss Marine. Not just any hope chest.
I mean the stuff for homesteading like the glass canning funnels, glass lemon juicer, a vintage style coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, etc.
You know..The kind of stuff they usually make in plastic now. I search the local thrift shops, grabbing them as I see them so I can put them away for all "3" of my girls.
I have Aprons to sew and my goal is to make 3 before the weekend and have 8 up on my etsy by Halloween night.
Happy Fall my friends!
Sweet Dreams,
~Tammie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...