Saturday, August 28, 2010

apple pockets, truckbed of fence & our heirloom apples

These cooler days we have had sparked that inner desire for bread baking & of course apple pies. While looking at one of my most enjoyed kitchen store, I have found what I call the must have kitchen gadget for moms (& dads). I knew the second I spotted them I must include them in the list.

I picked up both for a total of $17. Knowing these will not just sit in a cabinet somewhere, collecting dust, along with their lifetime guarantee to replace any item that does not last "forever".I feel no guilt. Besides, I'm a pie making fool when the weather goes south. Watch out big freezer! Momma's making pocket pies!


They make the perfect size pie pockets for the kids school lunches. We spent the afternoon harvesting apples, making the pie filling & trying out our new kitchen toy. They were easy to use. So easy in fact, Frog was pumping them out rather quick.
I will be sure to make the dough a bit thinner in the future. In my defense, it was a new to me pie crust recipe from the Macrina bakery cookbook. Which, by the way, is the best crust I have ever tasted.


Speaking of apples, I had a few visitors yesterday, from a new winery out in Ravenna Ohio. I had posted a barter on a local website which is how they found me. They carry a hard cider line using only non sprayed, heirloom apples. All of their trees were hit by a late frost so were on the hunt for locals with organic heirloom cider apples.


We have 12 apple trees total which produce. A handful more that are not very productive. After reading their request, I welcomed them out to have a look. About half the tree varieties are for cider and the rest for eating. So a deal was made. I will not take your money. You can have all the apples you can use in exchange for canning jars & some of your hard cider made from these apples. Smiles for everyone and the deal was made. Heck, I'll probably throw in some of those pocket pies for all them to munch on as they harvest from the massive trees. To think, I was so worried all these apples would go to waste due to my being behind in everything around here.

Have you been desiring a picket fence? For the yard or garden? Maybe even as a nice decor for the driveway corners? Just not in the budget? Well my friends I had one of those DUH light bulb moments as I drove home the other day with a truck bed full of old 6ft high privacy fence. I do some of my best thinking on those little long distance trips.
No, I do not need privacy fencing, being we have no neighbors. Especially 200ft of it.
No. This fence is for a very special project I will be sharing in the next week. You too, if ya have not already thought of it, will be amazed at the simplicity and obvious of it, staring back at you.


The summer is almost over. Kids start school next week. Frog begins preschool. And me? I'll be back on the video trail. Hunting down useful ideas, how to's and visiting some great people who will share their knowledge with all of us. A different turn is in the road for my little videos. So sit back and enjoy the scenery before our next destination arrives.

Sweet dreams,
~Tammie


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...